Opening Day of the 2019 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Opening Day of the 2019 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Today was opening day of the 2019 Ohio Squirrel season. I was ready to go at 07:29
with the temp at 58, a slight breeze un the tree tops & a few clouds. As I drove back
the lane to the woods, I saw 3 deer running through the turnip field into the woods.
The swamp was dry but soft enough for a lot of deer to make tracks.

At 09:10, I spotted a deer to the NE &, at 0948, a red crossed across in front of me.
At 10:00, I decided to move to my deer stand & put up my trail cam bumping another
red on the way.

Since I had not seen hide nor hair of a fox squirrel, I decided to head in at 11:00 with
the temp at 68. I have hunted this spot every opening day for 15 years & this is the
1st time I have not even seek a fox let alone killed 1. Not a good sign. I may slip back
behind the house this after noon.

It’s 03:15 P.M. & raining with T-storms are forecast for the rest of the day, tonight, &
into the early hours of the morning so it looks like I’m done until tomorrow. Today is
the 1st opening day I have been shutout in 15 years. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Opening Day of the 2019 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

Ouch, ya' may have to savor the last of the squirrel stew ya' got :shock:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

We were able to manage 3 squirrels today while dove hunting. We got 1 dove. We fought rain and wind all day. The wind was wrong for dove. They would cirle is high and couldn't get in due to high winds. We saw plenty, but only 1 shot. 2 others caught us off guard and couldn't get a shot on them. We hunted mowed hay on the new pipeline, right off our deer woods. Squirrels were stalked in the woods once we heard them barking.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

I should mention we are hunting wayne/Holmes county area. Wind was nuts

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”