Day 29 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 29 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

It was 50, sunny with a few high clouds, & breezy at 08:04 this morning when I got back to “my” primary turkey woods. At 08:14, I looked to my right & saw a bushy about ¾ ways up a tree. I couldn’t get turned enough for a shot, so I got up &, keeping a fair sized beech tree between us, moved to that tree. I tried using the right side as a rest but it was too awkward. To use the left side, I had to move my left foot left & work it under some dead branches without making any noise, mission accomplished. I watched the fox for a few minutes but it was either on the backside of the tree or behind leaves. He finally moved to the frontside & stopped giving me a shot. It was still dark in the woods but I could see him & put the x-hairs on his head or so I thought. The .17 cracked & he dropped. Either he moved or I didn’t have the x-hairs where I thought as I hit a little far back. This is the 1st “bad” shot this year but I only lost ½ of the front ¼.

At 09:03, a fox scolded behind me for a few seconds. About a minute later, I saw another one in the tops in front of me. It went up & down several trees & rummaged on the ground several times before going back up & disappearing never giving me a shot. I watched it from about 09:04 until 09:23.

The wind picked up but the temp didn’t & it got really chilly so I headed in at 10:30 with the temp at 57, still sunny, & clear.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MAK

Re: Day 29 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by MAK »

Another one for the freezer and another day in the woods great!
MAK

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”