Day 18 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 18 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

It was pretty warm when I got to the woods at 12:23 this afternoon, 85 sunny & slightly breezy.
It was cooler inside the woods down in the bottom along the creek. The puff ball pictured was
right next to where I park on the edge of the woods. It is 1 of the biggest I have ever seen.

At 01:20, I saw 2 foxes running down the ridge to the west not giving a shot before disappearing.
At 01:32, 2 started working back up the ridge, no shot. At 01:48, another fox came down the
ridge & made the mistake of stopping. This is the 1st non-headshot of the year. I hit her at the
top of the left shoulder which pretty much destroyed the front quarter. At 01:52, another 1
showed up on my left, no shot.

At 02:00, I saw 1 behind me on my left. It ran up the ridge, no shot. At 02:17, another 1 showed
up behind me, ran across in front of me & disappeared behind a large tree. I think it also went
up the ridge. At 02:23, I spotted 1 in front of me. I watched it run up a tree into the top. Every
time it stopped, all I could see was its tail with no shot.

I needed to check on the barn crew so headed hone at 03:00, 88, sunny, & breezy.

I don’t know if the squirrels are getting smarter or what. They all seemed to know where to stop
to keep their heads hidden behind trees. I think they believe they are either Mike Weber or
J.K. Dobbins & the trees were the offensive line of THE OSU Buckeyes. They sure did use the
trees to block me.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 18 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by redarrow »

Have you ever eaten the puff balls Geo? I worked with a lady who would slice then and dip in egg and flour and fry . Pretty dang good. Gotta pick them when they are still nice and firm . Congrats on the squirrels your piling up .
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

redarrow wrote: September 18th, 2018, 6:28 pm Have you ever eaten the puff balls Geo? I worked with a lady who would slice then and dip in egg and flour and fry . Pretty dang good. Gotta pick them when they are still nice and firm . Congrats on the squirrels your piling up .
Why yes Billie, yes I have. Pretty much the same way but I did do 1 stuffed with crab meat & the 'shroom "guts" baked.

1 thing about puffers: If you freeze them triple wrap & double bag at least. They will cause your freezer to stink!!

Thx. I'm 1 behind where I was last year but am going to a "new" woods in the morning & hope to get more than 1.
George

MAK

Post by MAK »

Them dang squirrel been watching turkeys 🦃

Keep at it George!!
MAK
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

MAK wrote: September 18th, 2018, 7:10 pm Them dang squirrel been watching turkeys 🦃

Keep at it George!!
I think they have been watching THE OSU on the BTN channel.

Thx.
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”