Two Days of Roosters

everything except turkey & deer
hobbes

Two Days of Roosters

Post by hobbes »

We hunted all day on both Thursday and Friday to kill limits of Roosters. I failed to take any photos until after dark on the first day. One of my bird had a really long tail (on left), at least it was several inches longer than the rest of the birds.

Image20171104_100223 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Image20171104_100017 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

We had a little snow on the second day and hunted some unusual pheasant country. The birds had learned to fly from the creek bottom cover into the sage country then run like mad in front of the dogs. We managed to corner a few between us before moving on to another location that was a little more typical creek bottom cover. Finn and his littermate/brother are only 1.5 years old but both did really well for such young dogs.

Image20171104_095711 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Image20171104_095641 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Image20171104_095235 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Finn working the sage
Image20171104_095509 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Finn wasn't in the mood to pose for a photo. He was wet, cold, and ready to get in the box.
ImageFullSizeRender by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Griff was reluctant but more willing to pose for the camera.
ImagePastor by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Two Days of Roosters

Post by OLE RASPY »

Great days of hunting. Beautiful country to.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

The only thing imported from china that is any good,,,,Nice bird hunting hobbes
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nicely done. Those birds are great fun to chase and hunt. The dogs make all the difference in the world. Congrats on a nice hunt and great pictures, as always!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Pheasant and quail are the bomb to hunt. Bumped grouse but have never killled one. At a put n take years ago they had chukkar. I told the owner that was the carp of winged birds
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

hoobilly wrote: November 5th, 2017, 11:03 pm Pheasant and quail are the bomb to hunt. Bumped grouse but have never killled one. At a put n take years ago they had chukkar. I told the owner that was the carp of winged birds
Ive never hunted chukar, but know places like Nevada have some serious wild chukar hunters. They live in wicked country.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Great goin' Hobbes :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just a pic. suggestion, the O/U is pointin' right at ya' and appears to be closed in the one pic. of ya' :wave:

I sure can relate to the runnin' roosters, after chasin' a beagle in sugar beet fields, back in the 70's :LMAO:
The only savior, was in 1/2 mike fields, the farmers planted a headland 1/2 to make harvesting and beet removal easier, which is not the case anymore!!
The rooster would run until he hit the middle headland and turn and go down the headland ;) Thenvwhen I got there, I could lay down, and catch my breath, until the beagle figured which direction the rooster went, which by then wasn't far then :shock:

Was going to go back to MI for the Oct 20 opener, but my farmer buddy said he had a few roosters when he took soys and corn off, but where they would be over 3000+ acres, is anybody's guess :stir:
One of my buddy's from Michigan is huntin' starting today in SD, and I'm sure they will do well!
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

The Dakotas and Eastern MT experienced extreme drought this year, so bird numbers are down significantly from all reports. Hopefully they still have a good hunt.

I could have swore that he laid the double down on the box broken open.
MAK

Post by MAK »

good times for sure
MAK
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

hobbes wrote: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am The Dakotas and Eastern MT experienced extreme drought this year, so bird numbers are down significantly from all reports. Hopefully they still have a good hunt.

I could have swore that he laid the double down on the box broken open.
:banghead: He text me last night when he got there and said Yippeee .. 16 degrees and snowing :LMAO:

No pics. from todays hunt yet :shock:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
tazzmo1

Post by tazzmo1 »

Nice group of roosters, shane well done. don't se them in massac.co.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

tazzmo1 wrote: November 6th, 2017, 5:47 pm Nice group of roosters, shane well done. don't se them in massac.co.
Definitely dont see any wild roosters in Massac Co. Dad used to go to Rend lake and kill a couple released birds, but doesn't walk like that much anymore.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Man, I love chasin' Roosters! If we had 'em around here that's all I'd do in the fall. Well, not really, but I'd hunt 'em a LOT!!
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Really enjoyed seeing this. Great pictures; could feel that chill in the air. If bad weather doesn't shut us out, we'll be heading to Kansas on Thanksgiving weekend.

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”