Day 43 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 43 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 43 Aunt Evelyn’s Home Place Woods 10/13/2017 P.M.

I got into the woods at12:42, overcast, breezy, & 70. This is the 1st time I have been able to get back to this woods so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

At 01:57, I spotted a fox running along a small log. And then…..It sat up on its haunches giving me a perfect shot. And then…….I settled the cross-hairs on its head……. And then…….I squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezed the trigger. And then, AND THEN………Click. WTH???? CLICK!?!? I am always very aware of making sure I chamber a round but though I had messed up & closed the bolt on an empty chamber. I quickly jacked in another round & heard a round hit the ground. By this time, the bushy had moved into the weeds & snuck off, or so I thought. At 02:09, I heard it start barking in a shag by the log. I moved to the tree & spent 20 minutes slowly moving around the tree a few feet at a time hoping it would start scolding or move. A lot of times, their tail will give them away but not this time.

By 03:00, the skies had cleared & the sun was bright. I had found the 1st shell & noticed that it didn’t have a strike mark so I decided to chamber it & take a chance. At 03:34, a bushy showed up in front of me & I flat out missed. But I still don’t know why that round fired on the 2nd try but not the 1st.

At 04:15, I saw a fox moving along a limb on a shag in front of me but it got into the leaves before I got a shot. At 04:30, another 1 showed up in a brush pile in front of me. It was too far for a shot & it disappeared going away.

This wasn’t the result I had hoped for today but at least I know there are squirrels here. I headed home about 05:00 with the temp at 73.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 43 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by OLE RASPY »

WELL DAMN GEORGE. 😩
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Some time this year yet?? maybe the leaves will turn and fall :thumbup:
Here, they are turning brown and falling and very little color starting to show :(

Patience grasshopper :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Still way too much green. Some are falling but not enough & not fast enough.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”