Day 25 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 25 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Grandpa Scott’s Woods 09/25/2017 A.M.

I sat down at 07:45 this morning, 63, partly cloudy high up, Calm. At 09:15, I saw something bouncing leaves to my right but couldn’t tell what it was. After a couple of minutes, I looked to my left & spotted a fox going up a young, still green tree. When it got to the top, it jumped to a dead limb on 1 of the trees in the cluster to the left of the opening. I watched through the scope as it working its way towards the opening. It didn’t give me a shot until 09:18 when it stopped with just its head visible. There was a sharp crack & he was hanging upside down by a toenail for several seconds before dropping. I’ve killed in the neighborhood of 200 squirrels with the .17 & have never seen the moment of impact until this 1. The angle & lighting must have been perfect. I didn’t actually see the bullet, obviously, but at time of impact, the head literally exploded!! To say the .17 is devastating is a huge understatement.

At 09:45, I walked out & checked the combined bean field & walked back through the west woods. I headed in to lunch at 11”00 with the temp up to 83.

Aunt Evelyn’s North Woods 09/25/2017 P.M.

I decided to go ahead & sit for a few hours as I thought it would be a little cooler in the creek bottom, which it was. At 12:25, it was up to 86, partially cloudy, with a light breeze every so often.

At 01:49, I could hear something small falling through the leaves right above me. I looked up & could see the leaves moving but not what was moving them. I leaned further right in my chair to get a better few & finally the Tell Tale Tail gave the fox away. I kept the scope on the spot & it moved just enough to show me its head. I had a very small window to get the shot through so it was either hit or miss. I took the shot & the bushy didn’t move which struck me as strange. Usually after a miss, they head out of Dodge on the double. I had lined up a 2nd shot & was just about to squeeze off shot number 2 when she fell & landed 3' to my left. Another good head shot.

Walnuts had been dropping off & on all afternoon & I decided to check out the trees at 03:00. The nuts stopped falling which pretty much confirmed that there was a bushy up there some place. After about 15 minutes of searching, another nut dropped & I was able to determine from which tree. I moved over & did see some leaves bouncing but never could see it. With a stiff neck from looking up for about 30 minutes, I headed home at 03:45 with the temp up to 89.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 25 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by OLE RASPY »

Ole head blaster you are. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: September 25th, 2017, 9:34 pm Ole head blaster you are. 👍🏻
I just love it when all I can see is the head. Makes me concentrate even more.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW ya' B' gettin' back at em' fer' hidin' so long :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”