Day 14 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 14 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Brad’s Mom’s Woods 09/14/2017 A.M.

I got into the woods this morning at 07:47, temp 61, very overcast, & breezy. The air was very wet &, with the breeze, if felt cooler than 54. At 08:23, I heard 1 bouncing around in a tree behind me. I got up & started looking but it could have been doing a polka & I wouldn’t have seen it the leaves were so thick. I slowly worked my way around the tree until I spotted it up in the top. It never gave me a shot & disappeared at 08:47 at which time I walked down the lane to see if there was any activity in the area where I seen a large pile of hickory husks, nada.

I sat back down at 09:05 & spotted a fox moving into the brush pile in front of me going to my right at 09:16. I moved a little in my chair & started watching. At 09:18, it went up the side of a tree & did a stop & drop. I had a heckuva time getting in to pick up a nice young female.

The tree in background on the left side is where this bushy went to that Great Squirrel Woods in the Sky.

It was getting a little misty & I was contemplating heading to another spot closer to the truck. But, t 09:53, I decided to scan the woods slowly from right to left & saw nothing. I turned back looking forward & the 1st thing I noticed was a red tail 15’ from me!! Since it had its back to me, I was able to shift right a little & get the .17 into position. I didn’t have a shot as it still had its tail up & back to me as well as a small limb between us. It jumped up on a limb on a log sitting sideways & a male joined the female.

Number 2 was sitting on the same limb when it met Mr. .17 Caliber.

How in the world that fox got in front of me so close is beyond me. We got 2/10” of rain last night & everything was still wet from previous rains so they make literally no noise when walking on the ground. But, I am pretty good at picking up motion even in my peripheries but this 1 got there undetected.

It was starting to mist again so I headed in at 11:00, 65, rainy, & a little breezy. Right after I got the 2 bushies cleaned, it started to rain. I had planned to go to the woods behind the house this afternoon but may just take the afternoon to do some odds & ends around the house.

The 2 bushies posing on my turkey pic stump.

This is the brush pile in front of where I sit. There is a small #1 & #2 where the foxes were when shot.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MAK

Re: Day 14 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by MAK »

looks like nice woods to hunt - envy you having that opportunity that close to the house; my 'hunting' grounds are 100 miles from where I live.
MAK
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 14 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

MAK wrote: September 14th, 2017, 1:18 pm looks like nice woods to hunt - envy you having that opportunity that close to the house; my 'hunting' grounds are 100 miles from where I live.
This part of the woods is pretty good & is also my primary turkey woods. if you go a few hundred yard west,
it gets pretty thick & the east section is really bad. The guys who logged this section did an OK job. Not so
much the other sections which are owned by different people. I hunt 7 different woods for turkeys & they
are all within 15 miles of so of the house. My 2 turkey woods are only about 4 miles away & my deer woods, 12.

I certainly am lucky & thankful.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”