Hickory Nuts in the Squirrel Woods

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hickory Nuts in the Squirrel Woods

Post by HunterGKS »

While in the woods squirrel hunting today, I decided to get some pics of the different hickory nuts

The 1st pic is of unhusked hickories, the left is a bitternut hickory & the right is a shellbark. The 2nd pic shows the husked nuts. The 3rd & 4th pics are a shagbark. The shellbark is the largest hickory & I believe this woods is the only 1 that I hunt that has them.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hickory Nuts in the Squirrel Woods

Post by soiltester »

HunterGKS .. come on down here and you'll see all the small tree branches w/un-husk nuts on them, that the squirrel's clip off before the trees can even ripen them :roll:

Shoot em' all !!! :violent3:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I loved hunting them in the hickory nuts when I was a teen. Probably still would, but dont have that opportunity anymore.

We had both back home. I was happy to find them cutting either, but boy did they make a lot of racket in the scaly bark. There is a lot more shell to cut through to get to the nut so there was a lot of stuff hitting the ground.

A good hickory tree that had a half dozen or more squirrels in it would sould like a heavy rain. A 22 was the way to go because I could pick off several, if I had a good rest from a good vantage point, before they'd start bailing out of the tree. Then Id either wait for them to return or find more.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

hobbes wrote: September 14th, 2017, 3:36 pm I loved hunting them in the hickory nuts when I was a teen. Probably still would, but dont have that opportunity anymore.

We had both back home. I was happy to find them cutting either, but boy did they make a lot of racket in the scaly bark. There is a lot more shell to cut through to get to the nut so there was a lot of stuff hitting the ground.

A good hickory tree that had a half dozen or more squirrels in it would sould like a heavy rain. A 22 was the way to go because I could pick off several, if I had a good rest from a good vantage point, before they'd start bailing out of the tree. Then Id either wait for them to return or find more.
The 1st year I squirrel hunted up here, I didn't know any of the woods very well if at all. I did know
that there were squirrels around where I sat to deer hunt so that's where I went. Mid-morning, I though
it had started to rain to my west. I decided to investigate & found a small grove of hickories not only
loaded with nuts but squirrels as well. Needless to say, it's become 1 of my honey spots &, over a seasons
time, always produces.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”