Day 13 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 13 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Mike’s Woods 09/13/2017 A.M.

I got back to the woods this morning at 07:40, 54 breezy, & overcast. At 07:50, a coon walked through the woods in front of me.

At 08:46, nuts started hitting the ground in front of me. As the wind had picked up, I didn’t pay any attention until about 09:00 when the top bounced & a fox moved into the tree at which I was sitting next to, literally straight above me. All I could see was its tail & it moved off behind me. At 09:25, 1 started scolding behind me, I suspect it was the same 1. I slipped to the general area & it shut-up, of course. I decided to stay & see if I could make it nervous which worked about 10 minutes later when I spotted it moving along a limb further in front of me. I moved up & looked for 15 minutes & never saw it.

I headed to the pond at 09:55 & immediately saw one running through the tops across the pond. I moved to the edge next to a tree to keep watch. Every once in awhile I saw it but not for long enough for a shot. I knew the 4z wouldn’t work so cranked it up to 9. At 10:13, I saw it coming down a tree & it stopped just long enough for a shot at 10:13. Just goes to show that patience does pay off. It took a few minutes to find it as I “lost” the tree making my way around the pond & through the brush. When I did find it, it was about 20’ further than I though, a 100’+ shot.

As I headed back, a fox ran up the trail in front of me & into the brush. I didn’t try to find it as it had just too many place to go. I sat back down at 10:25 & saw something walking across a log near the woods edge but couldn’t tell if it was a squirrel, a coon, or what & it never showed itself again. I headed in at 11:30 with a temp of 72, windy, & overcast.

Brad’s Woods 09/13/2017 P.M.

I loaded the weedeater & headed to my 2ndry turkey woods. I needed to clear the field lane so I could pull my truck in without going in the ditch. I got sat down at 01:08, 72, windy, & very overcast. I was thinking about walking through the woods when, at 02:47, a fox jumped up on a limb in front of & to my right. I had to turn a little & mount the .17 high on my shoulder & dropped a nice male. I did walk around between 0310 & 03:38 & all I managed to stir up were the skeeters. At 04:15, it started to sprinkle so I headed in. The temp had dropped to 70 & the wind was still pretty strong.

My kind of squirrel, 1 beer & his mind was blown!! :LMAO:

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 13 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

Gud' goin' HunterGKS :thumbup:

The pot thicken's and grows :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

My kind of beer. Nothing like a good day of hunting(anything) and having a brew afterwards. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: September 13th, 2017, 7:04 pm Gud' goin' HunterGKS :thumbup:

The pot thicken's and grows :cheers:
I'm back on track as of this morning. Thx.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: September 13th, 2017, 8:13 pm My kind of beer. Nothing like a good day of hunting(anything) and having a brew afterwards. 👍🏻
I usually have a bottle of water with me but finished it during the morning hunt & forgot to get a new 1.
That icy cold beer went down smooth & fast followed by another that was enjoyed at a leisurely pace. :occasion5: :occasion5:
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”