Day 7 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 7 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

I got to the woods this morning at 07:33, temp was 49, overcast, & a slight breeze. At 07:49, a bushy showed up to my left. I watched it running around in the tree tops but never gave me a shot. At 07:53 3 bucks moving along the outside edge of the woods. The story can be found at the following link if anyone is interested.

3 Bucks

At 08:05, I heard the 1st cutting of the year & it was almost directly overhead. The tree was less the 10’ from me. The leaves are so thick, I couldn’t see it until it started to move through the trees. It moved to a large beech in front of me & disappeared. At 08:12.

At 09:14, 1 appeared on a fallen limb in front of me about 15 yards, another sure shot. SUUUUURE!!! A clean miss. It ran up a tree giving me another shot….CLICK!!!! I had short racked the next round. DANG IT!!!! It got into the tree tops & started to scold up a storm. I moved towards it & it scolded even harder. This went on until 09:30 when I spotted it on a limb in the wide open. Another clean miss!! WTH!! I sat back down fuming. Had I knocked the scope off when I fell the other day? I picked a spot on a tree about the same distance as the 1st miss & nailed it. I took a 2nd shot & hit it again. So, it was the scope, it was the DA behind the gun. I think I either rushed the shot & jerked it or just twitched when I shouldn’t have.

At 09:45, I decided to take a walk & headed back to the north side of the woods on the 4-wheeler trail. This part of the woods runs east & west & I headed to the section that runs north & south. I walked along the outside edge of the woods & was about 15020 yards from the woods when 1 started barking. I moved into the woods & it started scolding. Between the crows & a plane passing, I was having a hard time spotting it & continued towards where I thought it was. I still couldn’t spot it until it waved at me. I took my time & squuueeezed off a shot & a nice female hit the ground.

I got back to my spot at 11:05 and, at 11:26, went to the edge of the woods to see if there was any action out there, nada. I walked out, checked a couple of other spots & headed home at 11:55 with the temp up to 61.

I took a pic of the bushy on the same stump as I take turkey pics & found the Flite Control wad from this springs bird right next to the stump. Not sure how I missed it this spring.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 7 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

I'm sure glad I never "short racked" a gun before or ever missed anything I was shootin' at :oops:

Is squirrel fever, kunda' like big tom turkey fever :shock:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 7 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by OLE RASPY »

Add another one to the pot
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”