Hot Opener

everything except turkey & deer
hobbes

Hot Opener

Post by hobbes »

I knew it would be hot, but wanted to get Finn out to hopefully put him on some wild birds.  All three dogs were doing circles at the front door begging to go, but Finn needs to be on his own for a while.  Kassie would have been better at locating birds because she'll cover more ground than Finn.  Cash is much more experienced than both, but the heat, while tough on them all, is too much for him at 9. 
Kassie wasn't buying it.....
ImageIMG_0007 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
Cash wasn't either but he's always happy to be on the couch.......
ImageIMG_0015 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

My daughter just bought herself a new  DSLR that she's learning with.  She's had one high school photography class that taught her some basics, but I believe that she's hoping to improve on that some.  Regardless, I asked here to go with me and used "you can practice with your camera" to get her to agree to travel and walk with me.  It limited the amount of hunting I'd do, but I was happy to have here with me.

We lost the coolest first hour and a half of the morning trying to figure out some Block Management closures that weren't on the list, so didn't get started until almost 8:30.  The sights still weren't half bad from the truck.
 ImageIMG_0072 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0046 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0047 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0052 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

We finally got going after a call to FWP to understand what we could or couldn't hunt.  We immediately flushed a small covey of huns while signing in to hunt and watched them sail out of sight around a bend.  I thought we'd be able to find them, but Finn never did pick them up.  I also assumed that on the first stop we'd find a few sharpies even if they flushed wild or Finn blew through them, but that never occurred either. I've attributed both to the hot and dry conditions, but it's probably more inexperience on all our parts.

It took Finn a few minutes to realize there were no planted birds here that he'd find within the first 100 yards.
ImageIMG_0097 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0107 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

He did give me one point that I thought would be the huns but it was clear that if they had been there they weren't any longer and he never picked them up again.  I'm sure we just missed them because they didn't fly over the ridge or I'd have seen them.
ImageIMG_0122 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

Water breaks were often.......
ImageIMG_0128 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr

I did end up shooting one hun on a covey rise just after leaving the truck at our second stop that should have resulted in two huns, but that's enough about my shooting.  I had planned to only shoot at pointed birds, but these birds had flushed to my right when Finn was hunting well to my left and never had an opportunity to smell the birds.  He hadn't busted them and I wanted him to at least get to find a dead bird.  He hunted dead well and found the hun quickly.  He wasn't sure he wanted me to have the bird, but gave it up without too much fuss.  I didn't try to find the covey again because Olivia was about walked out after circling around through a stretch of native grass looking for sharpies, Finn had all the heat he needed, and they were a small covey of 7 or 8 that will probably receive more than enough pressure anyway.  I'd also had all the heat that I wanted.

Olivia was happy to be back at the truck......
ImageIMG_0150 by riverbottomstaxidermy, on Flickr
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hot Opener

Post by HunterGKS »

Sounds like a great day was had by all except for 1 pup. That is 1 POed looking dog!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

👍🏻 good read
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

beautiful pictures! looking forward to seeing more as your season progresses
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

That's what it's all about :thumbup:

Now you just need to explain that to your dogs :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”