Monday 10/24/16 Fox Hunt

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Monday 10/24/16 Fox Hunt

Post by HunterGKS »

When I left the house about 8, it was chilly but there was no wind. By the time I got to the woods, it was 42 with a pretty strong wind & clear skies. I saw a squirrel coming down a tree about 70 yards in front of me. It moved towards the creek behind me. I turned as far to the right as I could & then had to twist even more. I felt like a contortionist!! It finally stopped & I took a quick shot at 08:32. I should have left right then.

At 09:30, I decided to take a walk around the woods. After checking the east side across the creek, I headed to the west section. I hadn’t been back there in several years & had forgotten how twisty the creek was. I got back to me spot about 10:20.

The wind had gotten pretty strong & the cold finally drove me out at 10:45 with the temp at 47. The bushy I got 1st thing was the only 1 I saw.

At 12:30, I hit another woods. The temp was 52 & the wind was quite a bit lighter but the skies were overcast. I stayed until 02:30 without seeing anything except a little 6 pointer. I went to “my” deer woods planning to put out a mineral & a salt block & spend the afternoon in the stand squirrel hunting. Somebody was already coon hunting so I dropped off the blocks & headed to my Sister’s for a training session on the new lap top I bought Sunday.

You can tell by the position of the bushy’s tail how hard the wind was blowing.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Monday 10/24/16 Fox Hunt

Post by soiltester »

Havn't been on much as still struggling with mu new puter. At least ya' got a teacher fer' your new puter as I'm looking to hire a 5th grader for help on my new laptop w/windows 10 :shock:

Keep pluggin' away and the #'s will be there :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Monday 10/24/16 Fox Hunt

Post by howl »

Man, I need to do some sq. hunting. Just a little reticent since I lost my cur. I got a lil feist still but she's closed mouth on tree. I guess I gotta just bite the bullet and train another pup.

Interesting about sq. dogs is they tend to go for turkeys, too. They're silent on trail and bark on the bust. I think it's because they tree turkeys as pups and if you don't break them they keep the tendency to trash on turkeys. Or could it be because I tend to sq. hunt in turkey woods?

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”