Sat 10/08, Sun 10/09, Mon 10/10 Bushy Hunts

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Sat 10/08, Sun 10/09, Mon 10/10 Bushy Hunts

Post by HunterGKS »

Saturday 10/08

I checked the temp in my truck as I was leaving this morning & it read 68. The outside temp is usually about 10 degrees different so I figured 58 wasn’t bad. I got about ½ way to the woods & the temp was 47!! SAY WHAT!!!!! I wasn’t dressed for 47. I have an insulated blanket in the truck & stuffed it in the game bag of my squirrel vest just in case. (Even though it was pretty chilly, I didn’t use it.)

I got to the woods at 08:24 with clear skies & a light breeze. At 09:00, a deer blew behind me & a few minutes later it blew again but closer. Never saw it or heard it again. At 09:50, I took a walk around the woods to try to warm up. I found a nice sunny spot & stood there for 15:00 minutes. I found some fresh acorn (or Akern as some call them lol) caps & some torn up ground that could have been done by squirrels (definitely NOT turkeys) but no fresh cuttings.

The wind had been picking up all morning & was pretty strong at 10:45 when I headed to my niece’s house & then on to lunch. I think this was the 1st time I have not at least seen a bushy so I was pretty disappointed. I plan to hunt the north woods Monday morning & this woods in the afternoon which will probably be the last hunts until I get back from my fall turkey hunting trip.

Sunday 10/09

Since I refuse to waste any time watching the nfl, I decided to slip back to the woods behind the house for an afternoon hunt. I got about ½ back to find a pick-up in the lane, somebody must be bow hunting. Changed plans & headed to “my” secondary turkey woods.

Before I even got into, I spotted a fox about 20 yards inside the woods. It ran to a tree, went up a few feet, around to the far side, & was gone. It was 12:20, 55 degrees, light breeze, & sunny. At 01:41, I saw 1 running down a dead fall to the ground never to be seen again. At 01:52, a fox moved onto a limb & sat looking at me. As I slowly started to mount the rifle, it jumped back to the tree, around the back, & disappeared. At 02:15, I took a walk through the woods to the west. I saw a fox in the far NW corner but it sw me 1st. At 03:30, I took a walk through the NE section seeing nothing. I headed out at 04:00 walking along the edge of the bean field on the south side of the woods &, as I neared a hickory on the side of the road, a fox ran across the road into the opposite woods. Saw 1 going in & 1 going out. It was 60 when I left & pretty breezy but still a nice day to be in the woods.

Monday 10/10

I knew it was supposed to be cold this morning so I dressed warmer, luckily. It was 38 at 08:25 with sunny, clear skies, & no breeze, again luckily. If there had been any wind at all, I don’t think I would have been out very long. I don’t get along with cold at all!!

At 08:47, 2 deer passed to the west pretty far into the woods. I couldn’t tell what they were other than deer. At 09:25, 2 chipmunks started chasing each other all over the woods. It was fun watching them. About 5 minutes later, a red started running around. One of the chippies started the “cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep” yelling with the red scolding back. Finally, after 10 solid minutes, my last nerve frayed, I picked up a piece of wood & chucked it at the chip which stopped cheeping. This also proves that you don’t have to be a woodchuck to chuck wood. At 10:00 the !@#$%^&*()_+ thing started cheeping again!!!! Aaarrrggghhh!!!! This time it shut-up on it’s own after 8 minutes. It’s a good thing I couldn’t see it or it may have met Mr. Savage!!

At 11:00, I started walking out for lunch deciding to go up the ridge & out. I have watched reds carrying walnuts up the ridge each time I was in these woods & had no idea where they were going until this morning. I have found small piles before but never a cache like this. The log also serves as a diner. The temp had gotten up to 58.

After lunch, I went back to the woods I had hunted Saturday morning. I got there at 12:29 & the temp was still 58.

At 02:00, I heard a hickory nut hit the ground from the tree 10 yards in front of me but couldn’t see anything. Nothing was happening & I was considering heading out when, at 02:11, a fox started barking in the distance which set of 1 in the hickory from which the nut had fallen. It was scolding like crazy but I couldn’t find it. Finally, at 02:18, I spotted it directly above me. I’m not sure if it was there the whole time or moved there. I literally had to mount the .17 on the top of my shoulder to get a shot. Right after the shot, another started barking behind me but quite after less than a minute. I tried to get pics of how straight up the shot was. Look above the tree that goes from left to right with the end being dead. There is a dead branch with part of it hanging down. The young male hit that tree or would have dropped in my lap. It hit the ground less than 5’ from me. I hit him under the chin & the .17 exploded inside its head & shattered the skull completely. Never had that happen before.

I walked over to another hickory & was there from 03:30 to 04:00 looking for a bushy I though was there. No joy. I headed out at 04:10 with a temp of 64. It was another great day to be in the woods.

Squirrel

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”