Tuesday 10/04 Bushy Hunt

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Tuesday 10/04 Bushy Hunt

Post by HunterGKS »

I got into the woods at 12:31 with a temp of 73, clear, sunny skies, & a light breeze. It was a really nice day to be in the woods.

I decided to sit in a different spot today as I had seen/killed more at this spot than my usual spot. At 12:56, a fox walked past at about 10 yards on my left. It stopped several times but always had something between us blocking a shot. It continued west & disappeared in the undergrowth. At 01:02, 1 moved along a limb from 1 tree into another & was gone in the tree tops.

At 01:20, I spotted one on a fallen limb & watched it move to the end & move around on the ground never presenting a shot. At 01:25, it went up the same tree as the other fox & where I shot a grey last Friday. I kept watch & it finally stopped on the same travel limb near the tree trunk. I took the shot but it moved to back to the trunk so I thought I had missed. I looked down the trunk & back up expecting it to move. When I looked back at the branch, there was something on the limb. I looked through the scope set at 4x & couldn’t tell what it was. I turned the scope up to 9x & it was the squirrel facing away from me. This seemed odd as a squirrel will usually get the heck outta Dodge when shot at. I kept watching through the scope & it finally turned & lay down along the limb. I could see that its lower jaw was gone. The 1st shot was a hit albeit a fraction of an inch too low. I knew it would eventually die with the operative word being eventually. I hate to see any animal suffer so took a 2nd shot & down he came. The 2nd shot at 01:27 was a little higher but almost in the same spot. The angle was different & the shot took out the left side of his head.

I took a walk through the east section of woods at 02:00 & jumped at least 1 deer that crashed out of the east end of the woods into the corn. I got back to my spot at 02:45. At 03:25, they started to combine the beans on the north side of the east woods &, at 03:45, my BiL started bush-hogging to the west. I took this as well as the fact that I hadn’t seen another bushy since I killed 1 at 01:27 as a sign that it was time to head to the house & finish the mowing I had started last evening. Tomorrow is another day.

The limb that the 2nd fox ran across from left to right & where I shot the 3rd is marked with an “F”. The grey I shot last Friday is at the base of the same tree marked with a “G”.

I found another bunch of fungi near where I sat today. The purple 1 was very small & a lot prettier than the pic shows.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”