Sunday 10-02 Fox Hunt

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Sunday 10-02 Fox Hunt

Post by HunterGKS »

I had planned on going to “my” squirrel woods this morning but it was pretty foggy & with all the rain we have gotten over the past few days, I wasn’t sure the lane was drivable. I went to Mansfield to return a light & buy a few more supplies to finish a project instead.

I decided to head to the woods behind the house & was sitting at12:23. The fog had pretty much burned off, the temp was 60, cloudy skies, & a breeze. At 12:46, I was looking over my right shoulder behind me when 1 starting cussing me for all it was worth to my left. I saw it headed down a tree right along the trail. I got the .17 up & it stopped moving but kept screaming at me. The next sound I heard was: BANG!!!!, followed by a THUMP-thump. He was so big, that when he dropped about 30-40 feet, it bounced.

At 01:55, I walked out to check the corn field as I had seen a couple of cobs with a pile of kernel with the soft end eaten. Nothing. At 02:09, a red ran across in front of me, which was the 1st 1 I had seen in a couple of trips back.

At 02:36, it got interesting/dicey. I heard a 4-wheeler coming through the woods north of me. It stopped near a tree-stand so I figured it was a bow hunter & that I wouldn’t be an issue for him. A couple of minutes later, it started up & moved closer & stopped, probably right around a curve from me. At 02:42, a shot rang out which caused me to unass my chair & get behind a tree. There were 4 more shots. It started up again & moved down a side trail towards a small pond where it stopped. At 2:52, I decided enough was enough; I folded up & bagged my chair when it started again & drove back the way it had come until it was out of hearing. I have no idea what was going on. Obviously not a bow hunter. The shots didn’t sound like a shotgun, more like a large caliber handgun or rifle. I suppose it could have been a shotgun but I’ve never heard of anyone squirrel hunting like this & that’s the only legal gun game open. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase: “run & gun.”

At 03:28, a fox came through on my right stopping a few times but each time, it either presented a shot I won’t take or there was something between us. At 03:36, #3 showed up behind me on my right &, being right handed, I couldn’t get turned on it soon enough.

The 1st 2 pics are where the bushies landed.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Sunday 10-02 Fox Hunt

Post by soiltester »

Another one bites the dust .. er' mud puddle I should say, with all the rain you folks have been having!!
1 at a time and you'll get the #'s you want :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Sunday 10-02 Fox Hunt

Post by Gobbler »

:thumbup:

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”