Bushy Hunts on 09/29 & 09/30

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Bushy Hunts on 09/29 & 09/30

Post by HunterGKS »

Thursday 09/29

I got all my errands done early & headed back to the woods behind my house with a temp of 65, slight breeze, & clearing skies. I was ready to go at 01:10. At 01:23, a fox came in from the area where I had parked the 4-wheeler. It ran across in front of me darting in & out of the trees at about 30 yards. It ran up a tree right in front of me & disappeared into the treetops never to be seen again. At 01:30, it started thundering to the south & east but it didn’t look like it was moving my way. At 01:37, another fox showed up behind me to my right at about 10 yards. It looked at me but didn’t seem bothered. It moved behind a big tree & I got the .17 shouldered hoping it would show up & stop, which it did. Problem was, it was a direct line to the 4-wheeler & I couldn’t take the shot. It went off into the woods past the 4-wheeler. At 02:09, it really started to thunder to the east & north of me & the skies were starting to darken & the wind picked up. The thunder continued to roll all around me & I decided it was time to get the heck outta Dodge or at least the woods. About then, I spotted 2 deer along the edge of the woods but couldn’t tell what they were. It had started to rain &, luckily, I had a rain coat in my vest so I didn’t get too wet on the ride out. As I exited the woods, a nice buck left the corn & went into the woods. I also spotted another fox leaving the west corn field going into the woods. It rained steady until about 05:00 &is still drizzling. I got .7” plus 1” yesterday.
If the weather permits, I plan to get back out tomorrow behind my Sis’s house.

Friday 09/30

I got into the woods at 01:03 with a cool temp of 62, a light breeze & overcast skies. As I drove back, a Redtail flew out of a tree along the lane. Just a couple of minutes later, it flew directly over head so low that I could actually hear the wing beats. Of course it started raining at 01:12 but not enough to send me out. I put on my rain jacket & all was good until 01:41 when it started harder & put me in the truck. By 01:51, it had stopped so I decided to do a walk-about after taking my chair back to where I sit. At 01:55, I heard nuts hitting the ground behind me. I turned around, looked up a shag & a fox was coming down. It saw me & went up into the tree tops. I sure will be glad when the leaves are off. I decided to sit on a log & see if it would come back out. At 02:09, I did see another fox for a second or 2 before it disappeared into the under brush. I tried the call but nothing happened. At 02:40, I moved back to the clearing & sat there until 03:50. It had started to mist a little so I moved into the woods where I had seen the 2 foxes.

At 04:00, I saw 1 at the base of a tree but it disappeared. At 04:05, I saw 1 moving through the trees to my right. It came down a tree but was behind a plow-down & I couldn’t see it. It finally showed up at the base of the same tree where I had seen 1 minutes before so I suspect it was the same bushy. It went up the tree & around to the backside out of view. At 04:06. It came back down & stopped at the base of the tree at which time I punched its ticket for a ride home in my truck. Another started barking right after the shoot & I tried to coax it in with the call but it headed away.

The skies were really darkening so I decided it was a good time to leave. As I walked the 34 yards to pick up the squirrel, I thought that it was a pretty small fox. As I for closer, I noticed that it had a lot of white in the tail. When I picked it up, I got a real surprise……it was a gray!!!! This is my 12th fall to hunt this are & I have never even seen a grey let alone shot 1. I think he may have been thrown out of the Royal Order of the Fraternity of City Dwelling Squirrels!! I had forgotten how long their tails are.

Probably won’t hunt tomorrow as I plan to watch THE game & have some chores to do.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”