09/20 + 09/26 + 09/27 Bushy Hunts

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

09/20 + 09/26 + 09/27 Bushy Hunts

Post by HunterGKS »

Tuesday 09/20

I was able to sneak out this afternoon for a couple of hours. It was warm with a light breeze in the woods behind the house. At 03:00, I used the new squirrel call using several 2-note barks to let everyone know I was there. At 03:34 a red ran through &, at 03:40, a fox started scolding behind me. It sounded like it was moving away so I responded back with 5-note scolds but it kept going. At 04:09, a fox came down a tree quite a ways away from me. I tried to bring it in with the call but I was ignored. At 04:30, I walked out to check the corn for bushies seeing none. At 04:41, I spotted a doe moving around in the woods working her way towards me. She got within 100 yards or so & her fawn showed up. They got within 40 yards or so of me & stopped. The doe knew something wasn’t quite right &, after about 5 minutes of heading bobbing, the high-tailed it out. I called it a day at 05:00.

Monday 09/26

I got back into “my” turkey woods about 02:32 with no wind a 64 degrees. At 02:43, I spotted a fox coming down the tree. When it hit the ground, it was behind a brush pile. I was hoping it would come in my direction as I have seen a lot of squirrels come down a deer trail but it never showed up. At 03:11, 2 more foxes came in on my left down the edge of the woods & into a large bush pile. I could see them moving around but never gave me a shot I was willing to take. I tried the call but to no effect. At 04:15, the farmer that has the corn field started to combine which effectively ended my hunt at that side of the woods. I set up on the north edge at 04:39 & left at 05:30 with no activity.

Tuesday 09/27

Hit “my” deer woods right after lunch at 12:30. It was warm with very strong gusty winds. At 12:32, I had gotten about ½ to my spot when a fox jumped up on a log. I was able to put down my chair & bring the .17 to my shoulder. I had the cross hairs on its head & started to squeeze. I knew I had missed even before I fired. It was another instance of the muscle response being past the point of no return & I couldn’t stop the shot. I twitched just enough to move the x-hairs off its head a split second before I shot. It ran a little ways to me left, then turned & ran past me into the underbrush on my right never to be seen again. At 12:44, a small branch came crashing down about 5’ to my left & another 1 hit my left knee. Not big enough to do any damage but it did get my attention. Between 01:00 & 01:30, I walked through the woods south of me across a bean field to the east woods, & circled back around through the north part of the woods. Between the underbrush, dead falls, & brush files, I don’t think I could have even seen a bushy let alone taken a shot. At 03:30, I decided to move up to my deer stand as the windy was really picking up & there was a lot of branches falling from the trees. As I walked down the trail, I spotted motion on the fallen tree stump next to my stand, a ground hog was sitting the watching me. Again, I was able to put down the chair & should the rifle. The ending was different because I drilled the g-hog, of course. At 03:49, a red came down the tree an arms length from me & started to cuss me & call me all kinds of bad names. I finally came down the tree, hit a log, & ran towards the bean field cussing all the way.

The puff ball is right along my 4-wheeler trail & I walked right past it going in. The last pic is in keeping with the upcoming holiday.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 09/20 + 09/26 + 09/27 Bushy Hunts

Post by soiltester »

MMMMMMMMM ... maybe you better let the squirrel population increases till' next year?? :banghead:

Better start cookin' woodchucks instead :thumbup: :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 09/20 + 09/26 + 09/27 Bushy Hunts

Post by HunterGKS »

Still need at least 10 so I can't quit. No g-hogs.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”