Monday 09/19

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Monday 09/19

Post by HunterGKS »

On the drive back to the woods, 2 deer ran from the waterway between a bean field & a corn field. 1 look big but I couldn’t tell what they were. Got into the woods at 08:00 with fog, dead calm, & a temp of 56, a real nice start to the day. Almost immediately, a red started dropping walnuts with some sounding like they were softball size when they hit the ground. I finally spotted it at 08:20 & watched it for about 15 minutes. It was interesting watching it move from nut to nut cutting the stem & dropping it. Pretty amazing how small the twigs are that these little PIAs can get onto without falling. And, they do not stop or slow down; it’s full speed all the time. It wasn’t long before another started dropping nuts behind me & at least 3 more started chattering.

At 08:51, I watched a fox come down a tree & head away. At 10:00, I took a walk-about & picked up several dozen buckeyes for my BIL. About 10:30, I thought I heard a helicopter coming in & then all kinds of mechanical noise, banging, clanging & other racket. It sounded like an invasion force. I found out at lunch that it was a helo with a saw blade attached to a boom arm that was trimming trees along a power line. I’ve seen them before but never heard one in action. Noisy is an understatement.

At 10:45, another fox came down a tree to my right & headed up & across the ridge to my left. I headed in to lunch at 11:00 & the temp was up to 75, no fog, & a very slight breeze.

I got back into the woods at 12:50, temp 78 & picked up several dozen more buckeyes for myself & was ready to hunt at 01:10. At 01:24, 2 foxes came running down the ridge & across in front of me. They split up with 1 going to the creek & the other away from me. I could see them occasionally going up or down trees & moving around on the ground but they never moved towards me. I watched them all afternoon. I thought about trying a sneak but the chances of a successful stalk was slim & none & slim done left town. At 03:13, another fox ran down the ridge & joined the other 2.

I sit between a ridge & a creek in a bottom. Next time I hunt this woods, I plan to move closer to where the ridge meets the bottom & close to the creek. There are a couple of spots that should be good. Also, I got my Quaker Boy Scolder Squirrel Call. It is really easy to use & sounds very good. Can’t wait to try it out in a week or so unless I get stuff done earlier than expect tomorrow & can sneak out for an hour or 2.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Monday 09/19

Post by soiltester »

Dang squirrels around my yard, chew the branches off and then get the acorns off the downed branch .. lil' buggers!! Then they dig up my newly seeded and watered grass and hide them and make a heck of a mess!! :banghead:
And there are acorns all over the place that they havn't even cleaned up yet!! :roll:

George, yer' shootin' luck has got to change for the better!! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote:Dang squirrels around my yard, chew the branches off and then get the acorns off the downed branch .. lil' buggers!! Then they dig up my newly seeded and watered grass and hide them and make a heck of a mess!! :banghead:
And there are acorns all over the place that they havn't even cleaned up yet!! :roll:

George, yer' shootin' luck has got to change for the better!! :thumbup:
Solution to your dilemma: Gamo = SBD!!

I sure hope so but, unless I get a lot of things done so I can sneak off this evening, I prolly won't be in the woods until next Monday PM. I have oral surgery tomorrow morning & family coming in the afternoon staying until Monday morning.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Had a Gamo Whisper and it sounded louder than my 22 lr's :banghead:
Rock & a hard spot as wife likes the critters .. grrrr :LMAO:

Good luck on yer' surgery tomorrow and rest up till' the next hunt ;)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: Good luck on yer' surgery tomorrow and rest up till' the next hunt ;)
Thx Charlie. I was in the chair from 9 until 10:15. Had 2 pins installed in my jaw & a small bone graft. There was no pain during the procedure but let me tell you what!!!! The numbness started to wear off & the pain started. By noon, it felt as if someone had hit the side of my face with a baseball bat........multiple times. I hate taking pains meds but didn't have much choice & took 1 Norco. I crashed on the couch the rest of the day. By 10:30, most of the pain was gone but I did take another sleepy-time pill & went to bed. This morning, there is no pain at all, just a little dull ache occasionally. The inserts won't be healed & ready for the next step until January so I have to be careful not to chew anything too hard on the left side.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Glad every thing went well & yer' on the mend!! :thumbup:

No git' them critters and come and get' mine, during the day when the wifes gone ;)

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”