Sunday 09/18

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Sunday 09/18

Post by HunterGKS »

Got a late start this morning as I stayed up to watch THE game last night, which begs the question: oklaWHO?? LOL!! I got into the woods at 08:14 with mild temps & dead calm.

At 8:48, a bushy showed up to my left at about 15’ & walked into the trail about 25’ in front of me. I had managed to get the .17 shouldered with the safety off when he sat up on his haunches & almost immediately lay down in the middle of the trail. At 09:27, 1 came down a trees about 60-70 yards in front & disappeared when it reached the ground. At 09:47, a came in from behind & to my right. When I tried to twist around, it spotted me & took off. At 10:00 I took a walk through the woods, checked the corn field, & saw nothing. I headed in at 11:30.

After cleaning the squirrel, lunch, & mowing the yard, I got back into the woods at 02:40. A lot of squirrels had been coming in from behind & to my right. Being a righty who can’t shoot left-handed, I have to compensate in different ways. I decided that, instead of facing straight south, I would turned my chair so I was facing more SE. That change paid off at 03:10 when a bushy came running in to my right & then across in front of me. I was able to follow it in the scope but, as hard as it was running, I didn’t expect it to stop so it was a surprise when it jumped up on a sapling in front of me & she quickly dropped to the ground.

At 03:54, another came in from behind & to my right which I wouldn’t have seen if not for the change. I watched it moving about for about 10 minutes before it went up a tree. I eased over & could occasionally see its tail or a body part but nothing that I would shoot at. It finally took off through the tree tops. That was it & I headed out at 05:15.

Tomorrow will probably be my last day to hunt for about a week so I plan to stay out all day & hopefully get a few.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Sunday 09/18

Post by soiltester »

You're gaining #'s on every hunt anyway!! :thumbup:

Ya' didn't say if ya' got em' in the head?? :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Nice before pictures, got any after pictures......... :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote:You're gaining #'s on every hunt anyway!! :thumbup:

Ya' didn't say if ya' got em' in the head?? :LMAO:
I'm just about where I want to be but I've had to hunt a lot more days this year. This onesey twosy stuff is for the birds.

I was off a little on the 1st 1 & caught him in the upper shoulder. He was too close & I didn't aim high enough.

The 2nd bushy lost the bottom half of her face. If you blow up the 3nd pic, you can tell.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”