Saturday 09/17

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Saturday 09/17

Post by HunterGKS »

Woke up to thunder boomers & rain this morning & I knew no self-respecting squirrel would be out so I decided to do the things I had planned for this evening & hopefully get out this afternoon.

About 01:00 as I was headed out the door, Brian called. We have been playing phone tag for a couple of weeks &, as it turns out, his timing was perfect. We talked for ½ hour or so & I headed to “my” turkey woods. If B hadn’t called, I would have been in the woods & gotten wet. It started sprinkling again when I got about ½ ways there. THX B!! Good to talk with you as always.

I got into the woods at 02:02 with a gusty wind, humid temp of 75 & a light rain. I got under some trees & didn’t get wet. At 02:15 it started to come down a bit harder so I found a bigger tree & stayed pretty dry. At 02:49, I decided to move & get closer to the truck. I went back to my normal spot. The rain had stopped by 03:15 but the wind was still pretty gusty. At 03:29, a fox moved past me at about 10 yards & headed into a brush pile. I was having a hard time finding it in the scope even when it stopped a couple of times. After it disappeared, I discovered the problem. Yesterday when I was trying to shoot a squirrel loose from a forked branch where it had hung up, I set the scope to 9x & forgot to drop it back to 4x. I called myself a dummy or something to that affect as I moved it back to 4x.

At 04:04, another fox literally flew past me at 20 yards coming from behind me & to my right. It ran through a brush pile, across my 4-wheeler trail, down a log, & into the same brush pile as the 1st. I wasn’t worried about spooking it so, as soon as I saw it, I turned in my chair while shouldering the .17, & taking off the safety. I was able to follow it through the brush pile hoping it would stop, which it did, right on top of the pile giving me a snap shot. It’s amazing how much things change & how well they work if the equipment is set right.

It started raining again at 04:50 & I headed back. If the weather is good in the morning, I plan to head behind the house.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”