ADDENDUM TO Thursday 09-15

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

ADDENDUM TO Thursday 09-15

Post by HunterGKS »

Not sure how I forgot about the last hour or so of this hunt as it was the most fun. Where I have been sitting is just a few feet from a tree to my right. About 3-4 feet from that tree is a fairly large tree. At 04:23, II looked behind me to my right & there was a bushy moving towards me. It knew something wasn’t quite right but didn’t seem to sense much danger. It spent about 10 minutes running around the 2 trees, occasionally stopping between the 2. It kept checking me out but still couldn’t figure it out. All this time, I had to sit like a statue as I knew even the slightest movement would send it running. At times, it was so close I could have reached out with the rifle & touched it!!

It finally went 3-4 feet up the tree next to me. I moved my hand a little & it used the typical squirrel move of going behind the tree. That gave me time to stand up & face the tree with the .17 shouldered & safety off. It poked its head out but was too close & I couldn’t really see it. It did this a couple of times as I was trying to drop the power from 4 to 2 but it took off before I could get on it again. From start to finish, we played hide-n-seek for almost 30 minutes.

A few minutes later, I caught movement on a tree to my left & thought it was the same or another brave/stupid squirrel. I slowly turned my head & saw…………….a Blackcap!! It was time to leave. As I exited the woods, I spotted a fox running from the corn field to the woods. I’ll have to check the field before I drive out from now on.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”