I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS!!!! Friday 09/16

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS!!!! Friday 09/16

Post by HunterGKS »

I got to the woods about 12:18 with a warm temp of 77. It was a little cooler in the woods with a light breeze. Except for the ever present red hauling nutz, there was absolutely nothing was moving. I had planned to stay in the woods until 05:00 but at 04:00, I started thinking about heading out. As I hemmed & hawed, some nuts started dropping from a couple of trees in front & to my left. I started watching & finally spotted a fox. I took a shot at 04:13 & it dropped a few feet & then stopped. I thought maybe it wasn’t completely dead & had grabbed on. I thought it would drop in a few minutes. It didn’t! I walked over & it had hung up in a small fork. This is the 2nd time I had this happen & I was able to shoot the branch in 2 & drop the bushy. This 1 wasn’t going to be as easy as the branch was about the size of my finger. I did finally get the branch broken & the female recovered but this has to be the most expensive squirrel I have ever shot. I carry extra mags with me & still had to go back to the truck for more. I hate to waste a good squirrel so will do whatever it takes within reason. I won’t say how many shots it took but it was more than 2. It’s hard to hit something that small with a .17, especially when you’re shooting almost straight up with very poor rests.

It’s back to “my” turkey woods in the morning.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS!!!! Friday 09/16

Post by soiltester »

I'll bet it's a whole different feelin', runnin' out of bullets, when you aren't even shootin' at game :LMAO:
Better get a set of tree climbers!! :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote:I'll bet it's a whole different feelin', runnin' out of bullets, when you aren't even shootin' at game :LMAO:
Better get a set of tree climbers!! :lol:
All I can say is: "IT SUX!!!!"

Funny you should mention climbers as I did think about it. Then a remember the fake knee & figured it wasn't a good idea. Besides that, my belly prolly won't let me get close enough to the tree!! :cry: :cry: When I was in the AF, & the 1st year or so that I worked for GENTEL, I was a telephone installer/repairman & had to hook poles. I HATED IT!! I did have a set of hooks but got ride of them years ago.

It was high enough were I couldn't throw anything to knock it down. I have a long piece of light rope that would have worked great with a piece of branch on the end but it was too high. I wish I had my .223 in the truck. Easy peasy with that, 1 & done!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Kinda sounds like you'll never be a tree hugger :LMAO: :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”