Wednesday 09/14

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Wednesday 09/14

Post by HunterGKS »

I got back to the woods at 07:23 this morning with a temp of 58. There was a real pretty sunrise so I got out the camera & took a few shots. The pics don’t do it justice.

Things started off early when I spotted a fox on a log to my right at 07:53. I don’t think I’ve ever seen 1 that early. I slowly started to move my hands & it walked down the log & jumped into the brush. At 08:00, it had gone up a tree, jumped from a branch on the east side of the clearing to 1 on the west side, & was gone.

A few weeks ago, a groundhog had almost stuck its nose in my BILs trail cam. I had been watching for it when I was back there but didn’t see it until 08:25 this morning. I noticed movement to my left & saw it. It stood up on its hind legs & then fell over. It was an old female. It’s the 1st 1 I’ve seen with white on the tip of its tail.

At 8:49, a fox jumped up on the side of a sapling across the clearing from me & he stayed there just long enough. At 9:36, it started to sprinkle & I decided to head to the truck. I got to the truck at 09:42 & a fox took off from the shags right behind the truck. It had stopped raining so I decided to take a walk-about. I made it through the west woods & about ½ into the east when it started up again. I double timed it to the truck & headed to the barn. At least 2 deer ran across the lane at the far end & into the corn. I had just gotten into the barn at 10:03 & the bottom fell out. It poured until 11:00 at which time I headed to lunch.

I got back to the woods at 12:53 & had another fox run from a different stand of shags along the corn into the woods. At 02:10, I walked back to the truck checking for a bushy. Nada. At 03:20, I decided to check the truck again & then take another walk-about in the west woods. At 03:35, I stopped, propped the gun against the sapling, & answer a call from Ma Nature. I looked to my left & a fox was running down a log towards me carrying 2 nuts in its mouth. It stopped & we looked at each other as I slowly reached for the .17. I thought that, if it stayed where it was, I had a good head shot but I expected it to run off. I got the rifle about ½ ways & it sat up on its haunches which took away the head shot as the nuts were in the way. If I had aimed at the head, the ballistic tip would have exploded & I don’t think it would have killed it so I aimed just under its nuts. Turned out to be a female.

At 04:00, it started to mist so I decided to head to the house before it started raining again. It was 67 when I left.

Going to try “my” turkey woods tomorrow morning as it’s supposed to be a great day weather wise.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Wednesday 09/14

Post by soiltester »

Keep on pluinkin' away cause you're gettin closer to your goal :thumbup:

Send us some rain!! :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Charlie, I was really surprised when my BL said he got only 3/4" & a couple of other friends close to him only got 1". I live about 12 miles away & only got .7". I would have guess 2-3" at least. It flat pored for over an hour.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

we won't have any fall color as trees are just drying up and leaves fallin' !! :roll:

If it pours like that we can get 1 1/2" in a 1/2 hr and 4 1/2" in a morning .. cause I've seen it happen here .. and most runs off :(
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Walnuts have been dropping since July. Leaves are falling but the most color is a dull yellow. Most are still green when they hit the ground.
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”