Sunday – 09/11

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Sunday – 09/11

Post by HunterGKS »

It was pretty chilly this morning, 56, when I got into the woods behind the house at 07:15. With the late afternoon/early evening storms we had yesterday & the drop in temp, I thought the bushies would be out in force. At 07:40 red showed up & started hauling nuts. It didn’t seem to bother it that I was sitting within 15’ of its route. It just kept running back & forth with a nut in its mouth on the return trip. At 08:17 & again at 08:47, I saw a fox but it was out of range & working away. At 09:50, I saw branches moving in a tree about 30 yards in front of me. I kept watch thinking it was a bushy. Every once in a while I’d see a part of it. It came partially around the trunk & I though it was the biggest fox in the woods. It moved a bit more & turned into a coon. I soon saw another. They moved up the tree out of sight & 1 of them started screaming!! It literally sounded like a woman’s scream & was disconcerting to say the least. I wasn’t sure if they were going to fight or sumpthin’, sumpthin’. They quieted down & I never saw them again. I headed to the house about 11:00.

My Sis came over at 12ish (at least that’s what she called it LOL) with a BBQ chicken from the local VFD. After eating, she helped me get my trail cam pics/videos downloaded from the 2 cards to a memory stick & I then downloaded them to my PC. I need a new PC so I can just download from the card to the PC. My card reader is screwed up.

She left a little before 3 & I planned on working on the cam pics. But it was a nice day & the woods were calling my name, I geared up & headed back. As I entered the woods on the ATV at 03:10, a fox ran across the trail into the woods. I got sat down & the red almost immediately ran past me with another nut. It spent the rest of the afternoon hauling. At 03:17, I spotted branches bouncing in the same tree as the coons from this morning. This time it was a fox that rode home with me. Thinks had started off really hot & I was hoping it would continue.

It wasn’t until 04:44 when I turned my head to the right & saw a fox about 10’ from me & moving away. It must have seen my head moved & decided to get the heck outta Dodge!! At 05:06 & at 05:12 I spotted foxes in the distance. I waited until 05:30 & headed out. The woods were starting to darken & the shadows would have made almost any shot iffy at best.

I plan to spend the whole day in the woods tomorrow & will pack a lunch. Hopefully the bushies will cooperate. I’m way behind!!

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Sunday – 09/11

Post by soiltester »

I'm like you George, I would've thought the change in weather would make them more active :roll:

Keep on pluggin' as they'll be out in full force soon!! :thumbup:
Send some of that rain & cooler temps to us!! 71 this am and high 80's and maybe a chance of rain for and hour or so, some where else near me at least :LMAO:

The critters are not very active as they were earlier .. just so hot & humid & dry!! :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Sunday – 09/11

Post by HunterGKS »

Well Charlie, it was 51 yesterday morning & it didn't seem to change a damned thing. Temps are going back up into the 80s for at least the rest of the week, which sucks.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”