It Was All About The Deer, ‘bout The Deer, One Squirrel

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

It Was All About The Deer, ‘bout The Deer, One Squirrel

Post by HunterGKS »

I got into the woods this morning a little before 7 with the temp at 54. At about 7:30, I saw movement to the SE at the edge of the woods. It was a nice 8 point. As you can see by the pics, it is really tough to see outside the woods but I was pretty sure it was an 8. I continued to watch & a doe walked past to the left of the tree top. It was followed by a 6 & a couple of minutes later, a nice 8 but not the 1st 1 I saw. A couple of minutes later, a monster 10 (at least 10) walked past followed by the 8 I 1st saw. The big un was a stud, huge body & a nice wide, tall rack. The 2 8s & the 10 were all definitely shooters.

At 8:15, I was checking my eyelids from the inside for leaks when I heard something running towards me. My eyes flew open & I thought I was being attacked by a giant squirrel seeking vengeance for all its relatives I have cooked over the years!! When my eyes focused, a spotted fawn slowed & walked past me at about 10 yards. It moved into the mostly dry swamp near where I sit to turkey hunt. I kept looking for Mom but didn’t see her. Junior must be out exploring on its own! About 10 minutes later, I looked to my left & she was standing 20-25 yards from me. There was a sapling with some low, leafy branches between us & she kept bobbing her head left & right trying to see what I was & to get me to move. She never stomped, snorted, or blew. She moved back & forth trying to decide if she wanted to go find Junior or what. She finally ran south & out of the woods. A short while later, she came back in behind me, still close, but wouldn’t go into the swamp. After a few minutes she flagged & took off back the way she came. She stopped & stared blowing but Junior didn’t join her.

At 9, I saw a fox working through a brush pile to my right where the doe was last seen. It moved across the opening & jumped up on a log. At 9:02, I picked up the 1st female of the year. That was it for the morning. When I left at 11, the temp was already up to 77.

The 1st pic shows the south side of the woods. I saw the 1st deer at the far right. It moved from right-to-left. The 2nd pic is an extension of the 1st with the right side of #2 starting where the left side of 1 ends. You can see how thick it is & how hard it is to really make out anything. I based my point count on what I could see & en educated guess based on past experience.

I thought this fungus was pretty neat & would make a good addition to the pic. The sun kind of messed it up.

I went to the woods behind the house at 3 this afternoon with a temp of 84. It was warm in the woods but really quiet & calm. I did see 1 fox at 4:52 but it was way too far for a shot.

Tomorrow is work-out day so I won’t get out in the morning & may not in the afternoon if it is at hot as predicted.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: This Morning It Was All About The Deer, ‘bout The Deer,

Post by OLE RASPY »

:thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)