Pair of Aces...king high

everything except turkey & deer
Treerooster

Pair of Aces...king high

Post by Treerooster »

Its rare for me to get a mature grouse with a tail still in good shape. If I haven't shot a feather or 2 off, the dog usually pulls some out while retrieving it. Even when the dog does hand me one in good shape it usually gets beat up in the back of my vest. Getting 2 nice ones back to the cabin in good shape is something to write home about. :D

The one on the right has a chocolate band/ruff. Kind of rare in the area I hunt in N Wis, especially one with a gray tail as most chocolate birds have brown tails. Both tails are pinned and drying.

For those not "in the know" the king high refers to the ruffed grouse being the KING of upland gamebirds. Turkeys being in another category...of course. ;)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Pair of Aces...king high

Post by soiltester »

Git' er' mounted, as I would :thumbup: But I'm sure ya' already have a few!! :lol:

Well done :thumbup: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Cool pic. Congrats. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nice birds!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nice pic.. That's what I grew up hunting. Great fun to hunt and good to eat. Nicely done!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

nice birds,,,,I used to chase them in the Polar and Lily area,,,,,miss those days some (wife hates snow!),,,,,
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Couple nice pa'ridge there. I remember when I used to moose hunt we just about lived on them easy to kill birds ! :thumbup:
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Pair of Aces...king high

Post by killerstump »

That's the only thing always wanted to eat and have never killed that's here around home. Them things are few and far between like quail. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Nice pic. That chocolate ruff is cool. We had a fair mix of gray phase and red phase birds in the Massachusetts Berkshires. I loved hunting them growing up, but they also taught me to shoot too fast. That was a hard bad habit to overcome when I moved out west.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

RapscallionVermilion wrote:Nice pic. That chocolate ruff is cool. We had a fair mix of gray phase and red phase birds in the Massachusetts Berkshires. I loved hunting them growing up, but they also taught me to shoot too fast. That was a hard bad habit to overcome when I moved out west.
You're a better man than I am...I couldn't overcome the habit. :D

I moved to Colo in 1981 and started going back to Wis in 1985, haven't missed a fall back there since. Got a log cabin on some nice wooded acres now and it is there mainly because of the ruffed grouse. They are a challenge to hunt and like you say, one has to be darn fast to get them on the wing. Probably the fastest wingshooting there is given the cover they hang out in. Best wild eating bird too IMO. A wild turkey poult night be better, but I haven't ate a grouse poult.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Treerooster wrote:
RapscallionVermilion wrote:Nice pic. That chocolate ruff is cool. We had a fair mix of gray phase and red phase birds in the Massachusetts Berkshires. I loved hunting them growing up, but they also taught me to shoot too fast. That was a hard bad habit to overcome when I moved out west.
You're a better man than I am...I couldn't overcome the habit. :D

I moved to Colo in 1981 and started going back to Wis in 1985, haven't missed a fall back there since. Got a log cabin on some nice wooded acres now and it is there mainly because of the ruffed grouse. They are a challenge to hunt and like you say, one has to be darn fast to get them on the wing. Probably the fastest wingshooting there is given the cover they hang out in. Best wild eating bird too IMO. A wild turkey poult night be better, but I haven't ate a grouse poult.
Well, I'd certainly have to admit to the occasional relapse. :lol: I really do miss it. The only bird I've hunted that can explode at your feet and be out of sight by the time you've gathered your wits.
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

Absolutely Beautiful.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

hunted the area between wabeno and crandon for years. the brown phase birds were rare. Here in southern ohio , when we had grouse, you never saw a grey phase bird. Killed some down here that even the ruff had a reddish tint to it. Anyway, thanks for the memories.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Turkinator wrote:hunted the area between wabeno and crandon for years. the brown phase birds were rare. Here in southern ohio , when we had grouse, you never saw a grey phase bird. Killed some down here that even the ruff had a reddish tint to it. Anyway, thanks for the memories.
That area is about 50 miles south and west of where I'm from. I am from Florence Co. and have killed many of those "Birds". Up there they are called "Birds". Not partridge or grouse. They are cyclical so some years are better than others. They sure are a hoot to hunt. (and eat)!

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I hunted with brits also. Is the cycle headed up. I'd like to take a trip up there next season. Isn't Florence co the park falls area?
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Always loved huntin them things, with or without dogs. I've only ever seen red tailed ones here in TN.
Don't see or hear them anymore though. That was 30 years ago.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Florence CO is east of Park Falls which is in Price CO.

Cycle should be headed up as it is about at the bottom now. Had a good hatch last spring in my area tho so this year was better than last.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Turkinator wrote:I hunted with brits also. Is the cycle headed up. I'd like to take a trip up there next season. Isn't Florence co the park falls area?
Like Treerooster stated, Florence is in the extreme north east part of the state and Park Falls is more towards the north west part of the state.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Growing up shooting those birds does make for some bad shooting technique. You are programmed to shoot before you aim, because, on occasion, that is the only shot you get. You give them a "hip" shot on the way up and then when the gun hits your shoulder, you aim the best that you can.
I started hunting pheasants in Iowa and it is a nasty habit to try and break. My Brother in law would just shake his head. Shoot fast and miss (more often than not) and then kill the rooster on the second shot. As a result of hunting birds for a lifetime, you do get fast with the second shot!

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”