Another Nice Day in the Woods

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Another Nice Day in the Woods

Post by HunterGKS »

I got to the south side of “my” turkey woods at 8 this morning & sat about 40 yards from a couple of brush piles. This is the same area where I killed a huge spring bird on opening morning this spring & had seen quite a few squirrels.

The action started within minutes as a chipmunk came screaming past me into the nearest brush pile. I am beginning to hate them almost as much as I do the red PIAs. Then, about 8:30, a fox scampered into the brush pile & out the far side never giving me a shot. About 15 minutes later, I noticed something moving across the worked ground outside the woods. My 1st thought was a coon. It continued on & I could see that it was a turkey. It never moved into a spot where I could look at it through my scope so I couldn’t tell if it was a hen or gobbler.

At 9:25. I spotted 1 moving in the far left side of the brush file & the fox moved to & up the tree on the back side of the pile. It kept moving up & switching from side to back. It finally stopped on the front side long enough for me to take a shot.

A short will later, 1 scolded for a few seconds behind me but never showed itself. A little after 10, 1 showed up on the far side of the brush pile & kept moving away. At 11, I headed out to do a walk-about to see if I could scare up any & to do a little scouting. Before I left, I walked out to the edge of the field to see if any bushies were out there. I looked towards the winter wheat field & saw something. I moved into the field a little & scoped it, a hen probably the same bird I had seen earlier. I did see 3 more squirrels but no shot. About 1, I headed to the house. I’m up to 21 this year & need between 5 & 10 more for next year’s spring turkey camp.

There’s a little X where I shot the fox just below the fork of the tree in the background behind the tree in the front middle of the pic.

The bushy fell straight down the tree & ended up in the brush pile. I had to go to the back side of the tree which was almost as bad as the front. The woods had been timbered 1 ½+ years ago so the branches were pretty dry & easy to break but it was still a hassle to get to the squirrel.

The shot hit her between the shoulder blades & blew out the front side of her chest & the bottom head area.

She was young & pretty small, this springs hatch, I think. I found these feathers & thought they would make for a good size comparison.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Another Nice Day in the Woods

Post by hookedspur »

:thumbup:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Another Nice Day in the Woods

Post by soiltester »

Great day to be in the woods :thumbup:

Yer' gettin' closer to your goal every time out :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”