Ranch work, trail cams and 2 coyotes!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

Ranch work, trail cams and 2 coyotes!

Post by derbyacresbob »

On Friday morning I went out to help the rancher fix a water leak. At about 11:00 am after fixing the water leak I headed up into the mountains to call some coyotes and check three trail cameras that I have not checked for a few months.

Where I park my truck to go check the first camera I have a great coyote calling location about 400 yards down a huge canyon from where I park my truck. I always call down this big canyon but most of the time the coyotes come down the steep mountains to my FoxPro instead of running up the canyon bottom.

I put my FoxPro in the canyon bottom and then I walked up the side of the canyon about 25 yards and sat down in some big rocks.

I started out playing Foxpro's Female Sore Howls sound and within about 15 seconds I had a male coyote challenging me from about 700 to 900 yards away up the mountain across the canyon from me.
I challenged the coyote back with Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound for about 30 seconds and then muted the sound.

A few minutes later I could see a coyote walking around scratching the ground on a grassy ridge way up above a side canyon about 500 to 600 yards away. I started playing Coyote Pup Distress 3 on full blast and within a few seconds the coyote started running down the mountain through a small canyon that was in the shade.
Since this side canyon was on my down wind side I put my shotgun down and picked up my 22-250 and positioned myself to rest my rifle on one of the rocks I was sitting behind.

The coyote started heading down the big main canyon bottom when it came out of the shaded side canyon. When the coyote was straight across from me I muted Pup Distress 3 and the coyote stopped about 100 yards from me. I shot the coyote with my 22-250 but it was struggling and trying to get up so I shot it again.

I hit my number 1 pre-set sound Coyote Pup Screams on full volume. I sat there for a few minutes looking up and down the main canyon and saw movement. It was another coyote that had just came out of the same shaded canyon the first coyote came down. So I muted the Coyote Pup Screams sound.

The coyote stopped but put it's nose in the air and then started walking real slow down the canyon towards the first coyote I shot. It was plain to see that this coyote was smelling the first coyote that headed down wind, down the canyon.

When the second coyote got about 6 feet from the first coyote it stopped and was looking at the dead coyote when I shot it.

ImageIMG_5236 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

In the above picture you can see the shaded side canyon going up the mountain. Above the shaded side canyon you can see a light colored grass horizontal ridge above the shaded canyon. When I first heard the male coyote I am pretty sure it was over the top of the horizontal grassy ridge. When I spotted the coyote it was in the sunlight on the grassy ridge above the shaded canyon. When I started playing Pup Distress 3 the coyote ran down into the shaded canyon. You can see the two dead coyotes in the bottom of the above picture.

ImageIMG_5231 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

In this picture you can see I had my Fury pointed down the big main canyon bottom and the SP-60 external speaker pointed up towards the mountain that the coyotes came down.

On my walk down a cow trail to check one of my trail cameras I saw some big lion tracks that were made when the ground was wet and muddy. I was assuming that the tracks were bigger looking because some of the ground was muddy when the lion went through.

ImageMFDC3750 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

After looking at the trail cam pictures I could tell why the lion tracks looked so big, it was a big looking lion that walked through there! Getting pictures and videos of lions and bears in my coyote calling area sure makes coyote calling more exciting.
Foxpro Field Staff
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Ranch work, trail cams and 2 coyotes!

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good job Bob. That’s big lion.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Again.. great shootin' :thumbup:

If yer; farmer starts loosin' calves, yer' gonna' have to switch to lion calls :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

WTG Bob!!! The song dog Terminator!!! Keep up the good work!!! :thumbup:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

That looks like fun and a great place to hunt !

Have you done any of this ?

https://www.facebook.com/huntchefoutdoo ... 999301351/
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Enjoy my share.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Bob thank you for taking the time to post up pictures and your amazing time coyote hunting. Wishing I had more time right now to coyote hunt, but Im headed to Nashtyville in a week and trying to catch up here at work before I go. Sad thing is we just got a bunch of fresh snow and its killing me I can't get out and track and call.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Predator Calling”