Got in some afternoon coyote calling stands!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

Got in some afternoon coyote calling stands!

Post by derbyacresbob »

On Saturday I went out to help the rancher brand 12 calves. I took my Foxpro, rifle and shotgun just in case I felt like making some stands after the branding was over.

We were done with the branding and lunch at 1:30 pm so I headed out to make some stands.

On the first stand I was set up on the side if a big flat dry river bottom drainage. I was sitting on a ridge at the bottom of the valley with hills and ridges to my right.

On my left it was open and flat for 500 to 800 yards and then there was more ridges and hills on the other side.

I started calling with Female Sore Coyote on full volume. I played it for a few minutes, then waited 2 or 3 minutes and played it again for 2 or 3 minutes and then muted the sound.

A few minutes later I started playing Prairie Dog Distress on full volume. I had only played Prairie Dog Distress for a few minutes when a coyote up on the hill to my right started screaming challenges at my Foxpro.

I am pretty sure this coyote was only about 500 to 600 yards away. I challenged the coyote right back with Male Challenge 4 and the coyote didn't like it. The coyote started screaming louder.

I switched to Coyote Growls on full volume and then switched to Pup Screams on full volume.

The coyote went silent so I switched to Pup Distress 3 and let it play.

About a minute later I see a coyote headed down the ridge to my right.

This coyote started heading to my right so I put my shotgun to use sooner than I wanted to.
This coyote was a big female.

I have not done as much coyote calling in the 2016/2017 season because of all of the rain we have been getting. We have been in a drought for many years so it is pretty nice to see the grass growing again.

This river bottom has not had running water in it for around 7 or 8 years.

I made 4 or 5 more stands but didn't get any more coyotes to come in.

It was a beautiful day to be out!
Last edited by derbyacresbob on February 28th, 2017, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxpro Field Staff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Got in some afternoon coyote calling stands!

Post by soiltester »

Nice going and nice to see the area responding to the rains with great scenery again and not just a dust bowl :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

soiltester wrote:Nice going and nice to see the area responding to the rains with great scenery again and not just a dust bowl :thumbup:
In the area I live we only average about 6 inches of rain a year. It has been about 6 to 8 years since we have had the good rains when we need them.

Our wildlife populations make huge swings when we go without rain or when we get plenty of rain at the right time.
Last year we did get enough rain that the rabbits, quail, coyotes and all the other little critters made a little bit of a come back.

With all the rains we have gotten and all the cover that is now growing the 2017/2018 season should be a great one.
Foxpro Field Staff
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good deal bob. Great hunt. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

man thats some beaut pictures
congrats on a big female.

Female Sore Coyote sound like this?

Ow that hurts! I'm tender Ow Owww Ow

:LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

hoobilly wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:18 pm man thats some beaut pictures
congrats on a big female.

Female Sore Coyote sound like this?

Ow that hurts! I'm tender Ow Owww Ow

:LMAO:
:LMAO: :LMAO:

Return to “Predator Calling”