My day ended better than it started!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

My day ended better than it started!

Post by derbyacresbob »

I made around 10 coyote calling stands today without seeing a coyote. Maybe the huge moon we had last night had something to do with the slow start I had today.

A little after 2:00 pm I made a shotgun stand at the top of a steep canyon. I leaned up against the trunk of a big oak tree in the shade with my Fury about 15 yards straight below me.

After about 5 minutes of Bay Bee Cottontail I saw movement to my right it was a coyote's head and he was looking towards my caller.

After a few seconds the coyote started moving towards my caller and now I could see all of the coyote about 25 yards away from me.

The Remington HD BB load dropped the coyote in it's tracks.
Another two pointer and it was a pretty big male.

A few stands later I was on top of a big ridge with not much cover on it. I was laying prone with my rifle watching down a canyon and the ridge on the opposite side of where I was laying.

After about 5 minutes of Snowshoe Hi Pitch I saw a coyote running up the other ridge towards my Fury. He was about 200 yards down the ridge and he was moving very fast for going up hill.

I muted the call and the coyote kept running for my Fury. So I woofed at the coyote and he turned and started running straight at me. I was trying to get on this coyote when it got wind of my Fury and caller bag.

The coyote made a hard left turn and ran over the top of the ridge I was laying on. Then I saw another coyote go over the ridge in the same area.

I got up and ran about 25 yards to the top of the ridge because I knew there was a big open canyon that I may see the coyotes in.

I laid down with my rifle and bi-pod on the lip of that canyon and spotted one of the two coyotes in the shade about 150 yards away looking back up towards me.

My 243 Win with the Nosler Lead Free 55 gr Ballistic Tip bullet dropped the coyote stone dead.
You can see the coyote laying in the brush on the other side of the canyon.
I ended up seeing the second coyote go over the top of this ridge after I shot the first coyote.
I took the above picture from farther down the main ridge. I laid down and made the shot from the bare upper right ridge across the canyon to the left side of the picture.

About 3 stands later I had a bobcat show up.
This bobcat sat down about 10 yards to the right of my Fury and looked straight at me for about 10 minutes. It was only about 50 yards from me.
In this picture you can see my Fury and caller bag on the left and the bobcat on the right of the picture.

A few stands later I had another coyote run up to about 40 yards from my Fury, the coyote was about 60 yards from me when I shot it with my rifle.
My day started out pretty slow but it ended up being a great day.
Foxpro Field Staff
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: My day ended better than it started!

Post by hookedspur »

Good Job :thumbup:
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

Great job on all of the coyotes. If you don't mind me asking what kind of calling sequence are you using and duration for each call? I have been dabbling in predator hunting for a year or so but I am trying to buckle down and get serious.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

That full moon really messes a hunt up!!

Great job of sticking with the hunt :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Maybe I missed it, but are bobcats off limits there?
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

hookinembig wrote:Great job on all of the coyotes. If you don't mind me asking what kind of calling sequence are you using and duration for each call? I have been dabbling in predator hunting for a year or so but I am trying to buckle down and get serious.
I don't use set or automatic sequences because I don't want the sound to change if I have a coyote heading to my e-caller.

I don't have any pauses in the sound when I am playing distress sounds. I do lower and raise the volume some.

Most of the time I play rabbit, rodent and bird distress sounds for about 15 to 20 min and then I will play Pup Distress 3 sound on full volume at the end of the stand. If you are calling in some thick cover where the coyotes or bobcats would be hard to see, switching to Vole Squeaks at 1/2 volume for 2 to 4 minutes before going to Pup Distress 3 on full volume would be a good idea.

Vole Squeaks on half volume is my coaxing sound. It works like magic at times to bring in coyotes that I can see are standing out there at 300 to 500 yards away.

Adult Rat sound is a good sound to start out with on about 1/2 volume for a minute or so ant hen I crank the sound up on it.

When I use the coyote vocal sounds I will pause the sound for 1 to 4 minutes between sounds and I always have the coyote vocal sounds on full blast volume.

In the country I call in there are lots of ridges, canyons deep dry creek beds or ditches and I am calling against the wind or breeze most of the time. So there are lots of places that the sound doesn't get into without cranking up the volume.

After calling for about 5 to 7 minutes I will crank up the volume full blast for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and then back off on the volume to about 3/4 volume. Quite often a coyote will show up within 2 to 4 minutes after hitting full volume.

hobbes, I can buy bobcat tags but I don't want to shoot them and some of the ranchers that let me call coyotes on their property don't want me to shoot them. I don't have anything against shooting them though.
Foxpro Field Staff
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

That's great good job. :thumbup: enjoy reading bout your hunts.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

What is all the green stuff.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Starkly beautiful country. Good job!

Return to “Predator Calling”