Merrell

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Merrell

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I love Danner but my Danner Vanish 5 inch Gore Hiker is flat wore out.. These caught my eye as they are super lightweight and seem as the way they fit like you do not have a boot on.. I have always been a huge fan of Gore Tex and am not sure about Merrell's own waterproofing system..

I normally wear a pair of Drake Mudders or my Pronhorn snake boots in the morning when there is dew or frost and switch to a hiker when the dew burns off and its time to burn boot leather.

The no lace thing is intriguing as well as I am normally retying my boots every 5 minutes and if I double tie them I am usually exhausted and get all pissed off trying to get the knot out at the end of the day

Anyone have these.. Handled them? Thoughts?

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/Product ... 04325--S--
Last edited by ICDEDTURKES on January 27th, 2014, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Merrell

Post by timbrhuntr »

I am not sure about any of their hunting boots or even if they have them but about 15 or so years ago they had a plan at work where you could get a set orthotics and the company would let you pick out a pair of shoes. Most of the offerings were running shoes but they had one pair of Merrell hiking boots with a high top. I got them. They were the best pair of waterproof hiking boots I ever had. I worn them in moose camp for about 15 years and I still have them out in the garage as my slip on shoes. I have only bought Merrell's from that point on. I am still wearing the second and I bought a pair last year in Kansas at Cabelas because they were on sale. I haven't worn them yet but will when the others wear out.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Merrell

Post by killerstump »

I have the chameleons and its all I wore huntin and scouting. I recommend them to the fullest.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Thanks guys like I said I love Danner but these look like they would be an awesome shoe for covering ground..
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

Iced, I don't know about turkey hunting but Merrell has a great reputatuion for very good hiking boots.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Merrell or keen of u do a lot of walking. Beats a heavy hunting boot. Stay away from pronghorns. They are junk!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

turkey_slayer wrote:Merrell or keen of u do a lot of walking. Beats a heavy hunting boot. Stay away from pronghorns. They are junk!
See I have a pair of Pronghorn snake boots and it the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever worn.. I get weird looks at the grocery store because I wear them do to comfort.. I am replacing a pair of Danner Vanish hiking boots and once again comfortable as heck.. But after a billion miles 50 days a year I am replacing them.. I hate to move from Danner but these "Hiking Shoes" look like the deal for 10-15 mile days..
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

YO Thomas have ya ever tried the danner jackal ll?i love mine.I cover a ton of ground in 2 states and wouldn't wear anything else.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

devastator wrote:YO Thomas have ya ever tried the danner jackal ll?i love mine.I cover a ton of ground in 2 states and wouldn't wear anything else.
Yes but I want more of a shoe or low boot
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
turkey_slayer wrote:Merrell or keen of u do a lot of walking. Beats a heavy hunting boot. Stay away from pronghorns. They are junk!
See I have a pair of Pronghorn snake boots and it the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever worn.. I get weird looks at the grocery store because I wear them do to comfort.. I am replacing a pair of Danner Vanish hiking boots and once again comfortable as heck.. But after a billion miles 50 days a year I am replacing them.. I hate to move from Danner but these "Hiking Shoes" look like the deal for 10-15 mile days..
They were comfortable and light but I ended up sending 3 new pairs back after they leaked and 2 other guys sent back 2 other pairs before we said piss on that. The weird part is all leaked like the moisture was coming up thru the sole. I have a high end boot for snow or have alot of water to cross but other than that I wear hikers. Your feet and legs will thank you at the end of the day
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Also check out the Salomon quest 4d gtx boot. It's between a boot and hiking shoe and a lot of elk hunters really like it
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Merrell

Post by drenalinld »

Doesn't make any difference what I like. They don't make men's sizes.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I wear Danner lace up boots. really light pair of pheasant quail hunting boots.

almost wore out. I will evaluate this season and see how they go..

Hookspur , I think it was him, talked about wearing Merrells (at least thats what my memory is recollecting)

thought he said he bought several pair and kept changing them out if they were got wet etc
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ok so I got these.. Messed up and got the non waterproof wondered why I was getting a deal.. :lol:

I think I am going to keep them despite the above, mostly gonna be worn mid day for pounding out ground after dew and frost burns off and the fact there low the waterproof might not do alot anyways..

They are extremely comfortable.. I cannot believe how light they actually are, these are built like a damn running shoe.. I do like the drawstring instead of ties.. Still wondering what I will do if it breaks.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

just got Gemplers catalog today and they had this boot on sale for $89.95.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/222492/ ... ther-Boots
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ok so I got these, first time I put them on and walked was the trip.. Absolutely incredible, lightweight, good support, good traction.. Like hunting in a comfortable sneaker with traction.. I need to get a new pair, I left them in a hotel room.. :banghead:
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

turkey_slayer wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:
They were comfortable and light but I ended up sending 3 new pairs back after they leaked and 2 other guys sent back 2 other pairs before we said piss on that. The weird part is all leaked like the moisture was coming up thru the sole. I have a high end boot for snow or have alot of water to cross but other than that I wear hikers. Your feet and legs will thank you at the end of the day
I'm about to send back my second pair of leaky pronghorns. I love them when they're dry, but I hunt a lot of swamps and river bottoms, so that's not very often.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Most of you old fossils need to get boots with velcro ties aka closures. You won't be passing out from trying to tie them.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
gobblersrule

Post by gobblersrule »

I am a huge Merrell fan in both hunting or casual shoes

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”