Camo pattern on White Fabric

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
Fatmo

Camo pattern on White Fabric

Post by Fatmo »

Back in the day camo was printed on colored fabric, not white. I did notice that there is a lot more white in the newer patterns of camo which helps out by not having to print the white, or is it just to cheapen that crap up???? I hate having to inspect myself for white showing everytime I setup on a bird.. Yes, some of the nicer camo is printed on colored fabric but they don't come in size "DAMN-SHORT" Ducker
I'm not going on a diet either, nice try...
Jamey

Re: Camo pattern on White Fabric

Post by Jamey »

I always get a kick out of seeing hunters camo'd from head to toe but still showing a bright white triangle of tee shirt at the neck. :dontknow:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Jamey wrote:I always get a kick out of seeing hunters camo'd from head to toe but still showing a bright white triangle of tee shirt at the neck. :dontknow:
Which is exactly why I have about a dozen camo Ts both short & long sleeve.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I wonder if Camocop knows the pink camo is a non natural :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Old army BDUs in woodland camo still work. They come in a variety of sizes. It is safer to avoid having red, white and blue on or about you while in the turkey woods.
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

Fatmo wrote:Back in the day camo was printed on colored fabric, not white. I did notice that there is a lot more white in the newer patterns of camo which helps out by not having to print the white, or is it just to cheapen that crap up???? I hate having to inspect myself for white showing everytime I setup on a bird.. Yes, some of the nicer camo is printed on colored fabric but they don't come in size "DAMN-SHORT" Ducker
This is a great question. Cost has nothing to do with it. 30 years ago camo was printed on mostly cotton products and most camo was wet printed. In wet printing, it adds a few colors on top of an existing color. For example, Trebark would be printed on gray fabric and the black and brown colors would be printed on top of that. Mossy Oak Bottomland would be dark brown and black printed on a lighter brown.

In the last 15 years, lighter, performance based fabrics consisting mainly of polyester have become more popular for their moisture wicking and breathability characteristics. Most polyesters are printed using a technology using a heat transfer paper method which allowed the camo companies such as Mossy Oak and Realtree to put more definition in their newer patterns. Using heat transfer paper, a white background is needed to print the colors in the pattern correctly. Still today, cottons are wet printed and the quality of camo between a cotton garment and a polyester garment is quite different. This is the same reason the colors/look of a camo brand looks different on different fabrics and/or different brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Fatmo wrote:Back in the day camo was printed on colored fabric, not white. I did notice that there is a lot more white in the newer patterns of camo which helps out by not having to print the white, or is it just to cheapen that crap up???? I hate having to inspect myself for white showing everytime I setup on a bird.. Yes, some of the nicer camo is printed on colored fabric but they don't come in size "DAMN-SHORT" Ducker

I see a lot of dudes wearing camo cutoffs or are those your pants ?
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

HartClemson99 wrote:
This is a great question. Cost has nothing to do with it. 30 years ago camo was printed on mostly cotton products and most camo was wet printed. In wet printing, it adds a few colors on top of an existing color. For example, Trebark would be printed on gray fabric and the black and brown colors would be printed on top of that. Mossy Oak Bottomland would be dark brown and black printed on a lighter brown.

In the last 15 years, lighter, performance based fabrics consisting mainly of polyester have become more popular for their moisture wicking and breathability characteristics. Most polyesters are printed using a technology using a heat transfer paper method which allowed the camo companies such as Mossy Oak and Realtree to put more definition in their newer patterns. Using heat transfer paper, a white background is needed to print the colors in the pattern correctly. Still today, cottons are wet printed and the quality of camo between a cotton garment and a polyester garment is quite different. This is the same reason the colors/look of a camo brand looks different on different fabrics and/or different brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good explanation. I had the choice of having my Mossy Oak Shadowgrass Blades fabric wet printed or transfer paper printed and I chose wet due to the fact that some of the ink absorbs into (and through) the fabric causing the pattern to be visible on both sides, although it is much better/brighter on the front side. My fabric goes on my duck blinds and I would have a bunch of unhappy customers if the inside of their blinds were bright white. :o
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Grumpy wrote:

I see a lot of dudes wearing camo cutoffs or are those your pants ?
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Grumpy, Those were my favorite pants my wife gave to Goodwill and when I went there to buy them back they were gone. They did have a pair of azzless chaps if your still into that, I'd pick them up for you and mail them out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”