Slate Calls

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
florahunter19

Slate Calls

Post by florahunter19 »

What's you guys general opinion about glass vs. wood slate calls? Glass seems to have a higher pitch but I don't know if it really matters. Include the brand / model slate you have if you would recommend it.
Fatmo

Re: Slate Calls

Post by Fatmo »

Man, it is basically what sounds good to you. There are so many good call maker's out there that make Awesome calls. I personally like an Aluminum and had a lot of success striking a gobbler with an aluminum. I finish almost all the birds with a mouth call. Pat Strawser, Natural Addiction Custom Calls, Lonnie Sneed, Brad Roberts and the list goes on and on. The best thing to do is go to a show and try them out, bring a few of your own strikers or buy some of them also. The striker that comes with the call is not always the best one. Good Luck!
florahunter19

Post by florahunter19 »

Fatmo wrote:Man, it is basically what sounds good to you. There are so many good call maker's out there that make Awesome calls. I personally like an Aluminum and had a lot of success striking a gobbler with an aluminum. I finish almost all the birds with a mouth call. Pat Strawser, Natural Addiction Custom Calls, Lonnie Sneed, Brad Roberts and the list goes on and on. The best thing to do is go to a show and try them out, bring a few of your own strikers or buy some of them also. The striker that comes with the call is not always the best one. Good Luck!
Thanks a lot man. So when it comes to slate calls, should I go with a smaller brand over a brand like Primos or Redhead or Knight & Hale because I've never heard of most of those slate calls that you've just named, although they seem they are successful.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

For my money, I would absolutely save up and buy a custom call (Halloran, Lonzo, etc) rather than a China mass produced call. There are tons of other good ones as well.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Yes, you can kill turkey's with those mass produced calls. But trust me and do what southern said, save some cash and buy a custom that is built and tuned by a turkey hunter that knows what one sounds like. The best advice is to go to a show, local or Nashville and run them until something clicks and that's the one and remember to try various strikers.
Spurtaker

Post by Spurtaker »

Fatmo wrote:Yes, you can kill turkey's with those mass produced calls. But trust me and do what southern said, save some cash and buy a custom that is built and tuned by a turkey hunter that knows what one sounds like. The best advice is to go to a show, local or Nashville and run them until something clicks and that's the one and remember to try various strikers.
Nothing like custom calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

There are lots of good calls out there. You have to try them to find what suits you best. Going to a show where you can try or hear played a lot of calls is the quickest way. Points to consider are that the maker has to know how a turkey actually sounds and different makers build calls to be played differently. The maker has to understand the finer points of the hen's voice and you have to play it the way the call was built to be played. For that reason, I always recommend a call from Sadler McGraw and learning to call from his videos. That might not suit you, but you have to try to find out.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I like the metal mouth crystal by Halloran.
El Sicario
The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I'm a huge fan of the traditional slate calls. I use glass on occasion, but to my ear there's nothing better than a real slate call. Strikers make all the different too, I lean toward the thinner wooden ones with a flared end. But this all came about after several years of mixing and matching, so the advice to try several until one "clicks" for you is bang on, IMHO. My long time go-to is a Cody slate.

That said, I'd never heard of Halloran calls and just spent some time on his website. Nice stuff, indeed!
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

I love glass aluminum copper just because I can locate with them lots of volume and if it's damp in the am as it always is it plays fine not like a slate surface and the high pitch seems to get them to gobble when they don't want to check out paul plate I have a aluminum and glass and man can they sing great guy also. I had him make me them before he won at the gncc in Nashville probably a 1-1/2 year wait now

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”