Box Calls

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
florahunter19

Box Calls

Post by florahunter19 »

I have recently purchased a Primos Wet Box turkey call. The pitch is very high and although I am a somewhat unexperienced hunter of turkeys, it does not seem to be as rich or accurate as other calls I have heard. Maybe the catch is that it sounds better in the rain, who knows. Maybe it's the Indian, not the arrow. Anyone else had this product or know another quality brand that won't break the bank?
Toddmann

Re: Box Calls

Post by Toddmann »

Well if your bank can handle 40ish maybe go with this. I myself do not use a box call but I know more than a few folks that have fooled a few with this one. Good luck.
Attachments
61aXNtEwnEL._SY400_.jpg
61aXNtEwnEL._SY400_.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 10015 times
florahunter19

Post by florahunter19 »

Toddmann wrote:Well if your bank can handle 40ish maybe go with this. I myself do not use a box call but I know more than a few folks that have fooled a few with this one. Good luck.
Thank you kindly. The name ought to help my odds as well :lol:
Spurtacis

Post by Spurtacis »

+1 on the lynch fool proof 101 call as far as I'm concerned its one of the best out there a friend of mine gave me one when I first started couple years ago and it has paid for its self more than once it and a homemade box made by a local is the only box calls ill use
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Never cared for the newer lynch calls. The old ones now, they were fine calls. Lots of crap gone on with lynch in the last 20yrsnor so. Very little of it good. Try the Primos box cutter. Seen lots of birds killed with them around here.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Johndoe wrote:Never cared for the newer lynch calls. The old ones now, they were fine calls. Lots of crap gone on with lynch in the last 20yrsnor so. Very little of it good. Try the Primos box cutter. Seen lots of birds killed with them around here.
The newer Lynch calls are not what they used to be and are not even made by Lynch anymore but are farmed out to be built. You can get a good one still but you will need to be able to try several in order to get one that sounds like you want. That's tough to do when they are all in blister packs in the stores.

A better option would be to get one of Allen Jenkins calls that I promise you will sound great. Allen owned Lynch for quite a few years (the good years) and is still making his own series of calls based on the same design. I stopped by his house about 2 weeks ago and test drove a bunch of them and bought 2. It was hard to decide which one to buy because they all sounded the same. His version of the "fool proof" is $80 and well worth it.
http://www.allenjenkinsturkeycalls.com/ ... -box-call/
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Don't think I've ever hunted with a man that didn't own at least one Fool Proof, I got mine on a 5 finger discount from my ole man, Figure its from early 80's if I had to guess. Have a Friend that has 4 of em, a newer one, one of the first ones sold, one from the last year they were made in Alabama, and one from the first year they were made in MS.

I don't ever have much use for one, Unless its real windy and you want that higher pitched sound to cut through the wind, and for that reason I picked up several different long boxes in Nashville, for the sound vs price I went with a Pittman, in that category I picked up some that were 2-3X the price and the Pittmans sounded just as good if not better. The one I had my eye own was $100 for their "standard" version of the call, and I was willing to pay that if I had to, After playing with the Pittman I couldn't stomach over twice the price for one that sounded just as good.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

For the money (49.95) the Primos Heartbreaker is the best mass produced box call there is ! JMO :thumbup:
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

vaturkey wrote:For the money (49.95) the Primos Heartbreaker is the best mass produced box call there is ! JMO [emoji106]
Promos magnetic lid box box sound mighty good for reasonable mass produced box

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Toddmann wrote: February 23rd, 2017, 1:53 pm Well if your bank can handle 40ish maybe go with this. I myself do not use a box call but I know more than a few folks that have fooled a few with this one. Good luck.
I have probably close to 30 box calls and the Lynch Fool Proof I bought in 1985 is the ONLY one that goes in my vest.
Last edited by turkeyinstrut on August 3rd, 2017, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

When were the Lynch last made in AL.
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I've heard some guys produce an awesome run from a HS Strut box, then I've heard others sound like crap on a custom box.
Practice and never settle for your best! Listen to a hen turkey and buy one that sounds like that. No 2 birds sound the same!
I ALWAYS have a box and atleast 2 pots, but 90% of the time I run them down the barrel with a mouth call. If you are going to only carry 1 call and be good at it, make it a custom box with turkey's built into it. You will pay alittle closer attention to it before you sit on it or leave it behind.
MAK

Post by MAK »

Go to a show and play 'em - you'll find one you like both in price and sound.
MAK
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

lynch raspy hen is my best producer, discontinued now
Tankdog78

Post by Tankdog78 »

I just bought a Bill Baubilt Purple Heart and Black Limba call it showed up today by far the best sounding and nicest craftsmanship box call I have ever owned. It was the most expensive one I have dropped money on $63 shipped to my door but well worth the money. That said I am very confident that it will give me the edge I need on these stubborn Virginia public land gobblers that I will be hunting this year.

I found his site in the directory in the call makers forum and the images looked like they were well made so I figured what the heck I’ll give it a try. I will suggest avoiding the mass produced calls because if you hunt pressured birds they have heard all the primos and HS Strut calls the local Walmart has. This is a link to his site I will highly recommend his products.
http://www.bbcustomboxcalls.com/Box%20Calls.htm
longwalker

Post by longwalker »

Eckel Smith in Mississippi makes the best one sided box call I have ever played.
charlesgoff71

Post by charlesgoff71 »

I bought a new lynch 101 and after scraping the inch of poly off it that they had applied it sounded just like my dad's from the 80's

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

lowoctane

Post by lowoctane »

My 101 has served me well for years but it did need tweaked when I first got it as I remember. The pivot screw turns for just that reason…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Benefactor
NAHC Life
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Anytime you buy a gimmick call its just that a gimmick. Lot of good, low priced custom, calls that the maker will stand behind 100% that's what you want, when you buy any over the counter call when you walk out the door its yours good, bad, or worthless.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Have owned two lynch fool proofs. First I lost so I bought a second. It sounds just fine as well. Will a more expensive box sound better? Maybe….probably…. Will they call more turkeys because of that? Probably not. Worst hen calling I ever heard I swore was a box…. right up until the real hen walked rt by me. Gobbler answered her everytime she called lol. It’s hard to predict what he will take a shine too on any given day. The important thing is that you practice and have the confidence to run it in a cadence that sounds “turkey”. Let the birds judge. I own several custom boxes and they sound great to me but day in and day out gobblers have been coming to a little mass produced box I’ve owned for 25 years….
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”