Hunting without a Vest

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
GLOCKMASTER

Re: Hunting without a Vest

Post by GLOCKMASTER »

I know I'm brining this post from the grave however, the older I get the more I'm considering what I really need to drag to the woods. I'm seriously considering lightning the load this year to the bare minimum. I'm considering going with the Beard Buster Run and Gun Turkey Belt.

Have you guys been adding more or going with less?
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I went with less and less every year until my little girls started hunting with me. Now i carry stuff I never imagined that I'd have to carry in the turkey woods. I don't mind a bit.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

No vest, pad on a belt clip, gun and calls. Regressing in old age? :turkeywave:
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

I am regressing to wince I started, that is no camo or vest. I am not far now from maybe diapers.

Although hunting with some folks I will slip on a camo shirt and hat, they seem to get nervous of me guiding them with no camo.

I have used a modified Filson hunting vest for spring. But in the fall I use a Filson shoulder bag.
barnbuster

Post by barnbuster »

Bigspurs68 wrote:I went with less and less every year until my little girls started hunting with me. Now i carry stuff I never imagined that I'd have to carry in the turkey woods. I don't mind a bit.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I had a buddy who used an old cloth nail apron of sorts that fit around the waist with two pockets in front, tied behind his back, the kind that lumber yards used to give away. He spray painted it dark green and black. He carried an old Lynch on oneside of it and a few shells on the other. Thirty-five years ago Dusty shot an Ithaca M37 pump 20 gauge and TSS (The Short Shell, 2 3/4").
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I would be lost without my vest.
Eph 2:8-9
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Vests are too hot and too much oriented for calls I don't use. I use an organizer suspended from a binocular harness. I tried the organizer hung off a waist pack or belt for a while, but it got my calls dirty and I bumped it with my gun too much. When it gets too warm for a jacket, I tie a foam pad to the back of the harness. The back pad was the only thing I missed from the vest.

If anyone has an old Tarantulas brand Beard Buster Call Keeper, that is unwanted, I'd be glad to buy it.
Diamond K

Post by Diamond K »

Yep I started years ago back in the late 60's long before the concept of a vest. My coveralls had leg pockets that I carried stuff in. One box call, brown jersey cloves and no face mask. My dad wore bib overalls and a brown plaid flannel shirt. Shot a Win Mdl-12 20ga 2 1/2" chamber, cyl bore and Canuk #6. Never failed to killem dead. The new toys are great but not needed to have a great hunt.
Diplomacy is the art of making a point without making an enemy.
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

I ditched my vest for the first time this year and couldn't be happier. I have a small lumbar pack to hold whatever I need and tote a gobbler lounger. When I get set, I simply take my pack off and sit soooo comfortably in the lounger. My pack in on the ground directly beside me within reach to grab whatever I need. If I need to run & gun, it doesn't take much time at all to throw my pack on, grab my lounger and gun, and go. If I need to sneak, stalk, or crawl on a bird, it's way more comfortable now without the vest.
It's funny how the longer it takes to fill my tag (weather it's gobblers, whitetails, elk, ect.) the lighter my pack and gear needs get. Seems like I have a whole Cabela's store in my pack on day one of a hunt, then nothing more than a flashlight, knife, and water bottle towards the end.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”