Good large cooler

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
coconut

Good large cooler

Post by coconut »

Any recommendations on a good large cooler that is not crazy expensive?
SwampDrummin

Re: Good large cooler

Post by SwampDrummin »

I use a Coleman xtreme 75 qt. It’s advertised as being able to keep ice 5 days at 90 degrees,which isn’t pretty damn close to the big boys, but at $60ish bucks it’s is a helluva lot cheaper.

The things I like about it is that it packs really conveniently into a truck bed and you have a lot of storage space for the amount of cooler. The more expensive coolers have walls much thicker and can get kind of bulky for the same storage space. The square shape maximizes efficienciew. What I do with mine is freeze a Sams club peanut oil container that’s full of water and use it like a giant ice cube. I’ve taken it on a couple 5-6 trips where i’ve Added extra ice and the cube was still partially froZen along with some of the extra ice. You kind of have to pack things but it is a helluva value for an all purpose heavy duty meat wagon/family gathering cooler.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I have a 5-day for my boat cooler. I put a frozen jug in the night before and it'll still be partially frozen the next night. That's one gallon in an otherwise empty cooler overnight and then covered in fish the next day. The fishy smell cleans out with bleach just fine.

The youtube says the 6-day version meets or exceeds the performance of the rotomolded coolers. That is unless you need to use your cooler as a jackstand or bludgeon a bear. We use the 6-day versions on camping trips over several days where going to town for ice is not an option. You can see the difference in 5 versus 6 because the 6 have less interior capacity due to the extra insulation.

I bought our big 6 days off the coleman website on sale. They were not to be found locally.

SOP is pre-chilling before packing and using block ice like you mentioned. We have the one cooler for food to be cooked, etc. This cooler is not often opened whereas the drink and snack coolers have kids in and out of them often. A layer of dry ice in the bottom will keep meat frozen for the trip. The block ice never fully thaws. I found it ridiculous the first time I pulled a butt out and couldn't smoke it until the next day because it had to be thawed out first.

The drink and snack cooler lose cube ice, but block ice never fully thaws. The great thing about block and dry ice, in addition to lasting longer, is you don't get water in the bologna, etc. The first time we got dry ice, we got too much. Everything was frozen solid for days. Pain.

Another trick is to use Reflectix to make a shell for the cooler. I think it might help, but it's not like we have an issue without it. Reflectix does help with the smoker, but that's another topic.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Where do you get the dry ice? I have never seen any for sale around these parts.
Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

coconut wrote: May 24th, 2018, 11:32 am Where do you get the dry ice? I have never seen any for sale around these parts.
Publix or the Walmart have It around here
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Where I have seen it, it was in a separate cooler or cabinet. Our Ingle's has it by the front door. Probably just have to ask.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

FYI- If you use dry ice, make sure and put a couple of layers of cardboard, or better yet, a layer of styrofoam under the dry ice on the bottom of the cooler to prevent freezing and cracking the plastic bottom of the cooler. Any frozen foods placed on the dry ice will remain frozen. I speak from experience!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Around here in Wi. you can buy dry ice at most welding gas supply shops.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

No joke on extra considerations required for dry ice. It'll burn you.
jims

Post by jims »

I have a coleman extreme marine that's a great cooler for the price! They matched it up against Yeti and others and was actually pretty close. Look up cooler ice test on youtube to see for yourself! I had 6 toms in mine with ice on a week trip this year. Daytime temps were around 80 to 85 and night was 45ish. I had to change out the ice once on the trip. I put the ice inside a couple garbage bags so when it melted the water didn't get all over. I put a sleeping bag over the cooler in the back of my topper to help to keep to cool. I skinned the tops for mounting and placed the meat inside gallon ziplocks. Worked out very well! The coleman is HUGE and only cost around $150.
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Coleman Xtreme!! May not be as tough as a Yeti, but it keeps ice a long time and one hell of a lot cheaper... If I need to keep a few items for a really long time on a hunt, I have a smaller cooler that fits inside to store meat, milk, eggs, etc. Then use the rest of the cooler for drinks and what not..

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”