Rubber hunting boots

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Rubber hunting boots

Post by OLE RASPY »

I need help picking a boot for turkey hunting. I have a pair of rockys now and they hurt my feet last spring.
Im not a heavy walker like some maybe but im not a light walker either. Longest walk from the truck would be 2 miles {ihuntprivateland} :lol:
I tried on a pair of mucks this evening and wasn't really impressed with them. They wasn't that comfy to me and they also slipped up and down on my heels. I tried on a couple pair and sizes. Been looking at the lacrosse alpha burleys but reviews wasn't good so I don't know. It said they fit your heels better. Thanks for your suggestions
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Rubber hunting boots

Post by Shooter »

I'm probably not gonna be much help, cause I don't like boots at all. Before my accident, I put some steps behind.
I always wanted the smallest, lightest shoe I could find. The first year Wes came over, I wore Camo Mocs. He just shook his head.
Since the last few years were a little wet, I wear ankle neoprene slip overs. Very comfortable and light. Finally wore out the ones from Sportsmans Guide, but I liked them better than the ones from Cabelas.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I always wear cordura/goretex snake boots while turkey hunting. They're fine for wet grass, occasionally stepping in creeks, etc. but probably would not be so good for continuous submersion as in swamp hunting. Lately for early season deer hunting, I've been wearing inexpensive Lacrosse Grange boots ($79). They are actually pretty comfortable to walk in, but I wouldn't want to walk 5 miles in them.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Between sal and I we have four pairs of UA HAW boots, they are comfortable and hold up
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I'm not gonna be much help either. I have MUCKS and really like them. Mine fit well and are comfortable.

Good Luck!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

I bought a cheap pair of Gander Mountain Guide Gear boots last season. I do not like high boots that are tight as they make my legs ache. I wanted a 16" rubber boot with good flexibility that would fit me well, I wear a 12 wide. I looked into the Lacrosse Alphas but could never find any to try on. Found these boots at a Gander Mountain and tried them on. They fit well and did not seem as they would pull my socks down. They were inexpensive with a one year money back guarantee so I said what the heck and bought them. I replaced the inserts with a good pair of Dr. Scholls and they are a great boot that are pretty lite. I hunted them all turkey season and deer season with not problems. They were worth their cost and I would buy another pair.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I like the Lacrosse grange boots....18" high...durable and very comfortable to me.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I have 2 pair of Cabela rubber boots. One insulated ,one not. They do make my arches hurt if I walk a lot in them though.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

While not snake proof, there is no finer (or more expensive) rubber boot made than Le Chameau Chasseur. Handmade in France and lined with calf leather they don't get clammy. Due to high insteps, I've never been able to get a rubber boot on in my correct shoe size. The above has a baffled zipper which allows me to wear the right size. They have heavy Vibram-type treaded soles with good arch support. Never thought I'd spend that much money on a rubber boot, but I got tired of wet feet woodcock hunting and Gore-tex must be Russian for "wet, cold feet." Deals are available on them if one looks on Amazon and Ebay. I was able to knock $25 and 20% through Orvis with free shipping but they still cost plenty. To make sure they fit, I ordered two different sizes, but they sent a mislabeled/misboxed pair that was the same size as the other. Fortunately, they fit. I'll have wet feet during the warm turkey months because snake protection is worth it. I just wish bootmakers wouldn't tell little white lies about Gore-tex being waterproof. ;) I have seen photos of a bad-ass snake bite through Mucks. Gil
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

KPcalls wrote:I like the Lacrosse grange boots....18" high...durable and very comfortable to me.

X2

The uninsulated anyways. The Cabelas and other Lacrosse rubber boots (alphas, burleys...whatever) feel like clod hoppers to me.

The ankle fit Grange boots are relatively light, fit my feet snug, waterproof, repairable, and not over priced. Got a pair last year for $70.

Lacrosse makes a felt insole in 2 different thicknesses and I can get a perfect fit by choosing which insole to use with the boot. The insole also increases comfort. I wear the Grange boot just about everywhere I hunt (spring and fall) except the mountain type terrain.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Check out LL Bean snow sneakers
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I have a pair of the Lacrosse Aerohead's. They fit me great and are extremely comfortable. Might be worth a look.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

GLS wrote:While not snake proof, there is no finer (or more expensive) rubber boot made than Le Chameau Chasseur. Handmade in France and lined with calf leather they don't get clammy. Due to high insteps, I've never been able to get a rubber boot on in my correct shoe size. The above has a baffled zipper which allows me to wear the right size. They have heavy Vibram-type treaded soles with good arch support. Never thought I'd spend that much money on a rubber boot, but I got tired of wet feet woodcock hunting and Gore-tex must be Russian for "wet, cold feet." Deals are available on them if one looks on Amazon and Ebay. I was able to knock $25 and 20% through Orvis with free shipping but they still cost plenty. To make sure they fit, I ordered two different sizes, but they sent a mislabeled/misboxed pair that was the same size as the other. Fortunately, they fit. I'll have wet feet during the warm turkey months because snake protection is worth it. I just wish bootmakers wouldn't tell little white lies about Gore-tex being waterproof. ;) I have seen photos of a bad-ass snake bite through Mucks. Gil

great boots...worth every penny
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Thanks for the replys guys
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I saw on Ebay where Orvis has Chasseurs on sale for about what I paid for them in early December with free shipping. If they still offer the 20% discount for opening an Orvis credit card, that's even better. It takes about 5 minutes to open up the card after credit check. Gil
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

GLS wrote:I saw on Ebay where Orvis has Chasseurs on sale for about what I paid for them in early December with free shipping. If they still offer the 20% discount for opening an Orvis credit card, that's even better. It takes about 5 minutes to open up the card after credit check. Gil
Thank you for the info
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
WNCHooks

Rubber hunting boots

Post by WNCHooks »

I got a pair of the snake proof lacrosse boots and they are my go too. More comfortable than my mucks IMO.
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

KPcalls wrote:I like the Lacrosse grange boots....18" high...durable and very comfortable to me.
Turkey Killer boots in Ms/Al... Been a many a head stepped on with these.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

tubecaller10 wrote:
Turkey Killer boots in Ms/Al... Been a many a head stepped on with these.
That's right....
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Waddle Whacker wrote:I have a pair of the Lacrosse Aerohead's. They fit me great and are extremely comfortable. Might be worth a look.
Best I have worn.
Cove

Post by Cove »

el diablo wrote:
Waddle Whacker wrote:I have a pair of the Lacrosse Aerohead's. They fit me great and are extremely comfortable. Might be worth a look.
Best I have worn.

I've had to eat crow with these boots (spoke highly of them before). I'm now on my 2nd pair and they've too formed a leak where the armor flex neoprene and rubber meet. My brother and another good friends did the same. Lacrosse has always been very receptive to replace the boots. If I was buying another pair of rubber knee boots it'd be the Granges. They're too many folks wearing them for them to be a bad boot. You can always pick out that narrow heel imprinted in the mud on MS public land and know you were hunting in the presence of a local. LoL

But, I only wear knee boots if it's an all out necessity, I hate knee boots. So you may want to disregard everything I've said. :LMAO:
RussM311

Post by RussM311 »

The Lacrosse Alpha Burley Snakeproof boot is great!!!! Nice fitting, comfortable and available through several sources. Completely waterproof with added comfort of being snake proof too.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

RussM311 wrote:The Lacrosse Alpha Burley Snakeproof boot is great!!!! Nice fitting, comfortable and available through several sources. Completely waterproof with added comfort of being snake proof too.

Welcome Russ...
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Cove wrote:
el diablo wrote:
Best I have worn.

I've had to eat crow with these boots (spoke highly of them before). I'm now on my 2nd pair and they've too formed a leak where the armor flex neoprene and rubber meet. My brother and another good friends did the same. Lacrosse has always been very receptive to replace the boots. If I was buying another pair of rubber knee boots it'd be the Granges. They're too many folks wearing them for them to be a bad boot. You can always pick out that narrow heel imprinted in the mud on MS public land and know you were hunting in the presence of a local. LoL

But, I only wear knee boots if it's an all out necessity, I hate knee boots. So you may want to disregard everything I've said. :LMAO:
I spend a ton of time in N Wis. spring & fall and there are a ton of local people that wear the Grange boot up north too. Where I hunt in Wis it is pretty flat and usually wet in a lot of places. For me the Grange boot is the only rubber boot that is worth a darn. I've tried several other types knee boots including the fancier Lacrosse and the Cabela's knee boots. They all seem like clod-hoppers to me, a bit heavy and the sole is bigger...makes it harder to be quiet. The one time I tried a knee boot with neoprene uppers it lasted all of 1 hour in the thick and nasty grouse woods. Had a stick go right through the neoprene.

And I always wear my Grange boots. ;) Most comfortable boot for me in almost any terrain except mountainous.

Cove if you do get a pair of Grange boots get the Lacrosse felt insoles first. I'd get both the 6 & 9mm and then go to a store and fit the boot to your foot. You can get a perfect fit that way and the insoles make the boot a lot more comfortable.
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I Like Irish Setter Rut Master or Bogs Eagle hiker (calf high)for normal hunting.
If crossing deeper water to get where I need to go, normal cheap boots and just let them drain out.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”