feet, knees and butts

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
allaboutshooting

Re: feet, knees and butts

Post by allaboutshooting »

I have a thick closed-cell pad that came many years ago with a Loggy Bayou climbing stand. I gave away the stand but I kept the pad and it goes with me to the woods. I'm pretty much a minimalist hunter other than that.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
Adamj1218

Post by Adamj1218 »

I carry a cushion with me all the time but I catch myself in certain circumstances no using one. It really depends on the situation.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Before each fall/winter and spring season I practice shooting from it seems every conceivable position. Left handed, twisted, standing, kneeling, prone, etc. Go though about 1-2 boxes of 25 shells a box of cheap target loads.

The only thing with that is it gives me confidence but after what ever position I am in for a while my age catches up and I start to stiffen up. Yes I do stretching exercise before and during a hunt. Yes, laugh all you want but its just a psych thing for me. :mrgreen:

I do carry and sit on a wheel barrel tube.
Hawgnman

Post by Hawgnman »

As long as I'm work'em, I'm happy. Usually in gobbler lounger.
Last edited by Hawgnman on March 14th, 2015, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grace Happens

Jim /*
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Where I hunt there are three choices; wet, wetter and rocks that are wet. I am usually dropped off on a ranch somewhere so my vest is always with me and my cushion is attached to it but it swings up and out of the way for moving on. I like having my lunch and water with me with extra sheels and my two calls.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I've killed turkeys off my butt & knees when I was younger. These days I use a gobbler lounger and sometimes a vest with pad on top of that. I have 3 vertebrae fused together in my neck and my lower back hurts me for days if I hunt without some kind of padding. It sucks being broken down, but it beats not being able to hunt at all.

Jim
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Gobbler lounger almost always due to the type of hunting I do. In last 3 years only shot one Tom kneeling behind a knoll, when I was scouting for the next day hunt.
ImageImageImage
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

i use a vest/cushion about 30% of the time. most of the time i cover a lot of ground. this being the case i usually just have my gun and a couple mouth calls.
El Sicario
turk835

Post by turk835 »

Killed one last year as I set up quick, missed my butt landing on my cushion but my butt didn't miss a sharp rock. The other bird I shot I had to raise up on my knees and shoot up and over the top of a ridge.

Bill
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Hal, I used to kill a lot just sitting on the ground, but after my back problems of recent years I go to great length to try to have a comfortable seat. I killed 3 sitting in a gobbler lounger this year, 1 sitting in my little lightweight nwtf seat with an aircushion, and one standing up.

I used to not give it much thought, but now back comfort has become priority one. Old age is not good.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I was thinking about this past spring, and seems like it was more of the same. In addition to a couple on a seat cushion, I killed 2 more while standing up (plus a miss standing up - first miss after 43 straight with no misses), and the first ever laying flat on my back after I was rudely awakened from a cat nap by a hen scratching nearby just in time to see the tom waltzing in. That one has to be the most interesting position I've killed one from.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I never thought much of this until this past season, cause I'm usually on my butt on a pad from the vest. Been that way for as long as I can remember. Usually in a depression I can find, instead of at the base of a tree. That way, by the time he can see me, and I can see him, I can kill him.
This year, I got on three gobbling turkeys at daylight. One to the left, one to the right, and one out front. A little later when everything got hot, and had them riled up from calling, mother nature decided to dump a hard rain on all of us just about flydown time.
An hour later, it stopped. I was just inside the woodline from a small field. After a few mins, I decided to get up, and ease to the edge and take a peek, just to see if anything was going on. Left the gun laying on the ground. :toothy7:
The grass was a foot or so high, but I see something red in the grass to my left. I just keep looking. Yep, it finally moved.
Dam,... The gun is 8 feet away. I finally managed to get the gun without him seeing me, until I start to raise it.
This cat and mouse went down for a few mins, but finally got the bead on him. Yep, history at 30yds. Just glad it was a Longbeard, cause I never saw his beard until after. Just kind of knew I guess.
Needless to say, that one was standing. Pretty sure my Kneeling days are over for me. Gonna have to be sitting or standing for this old boy from now on. :mrgreen:
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

If I don't have my vest I feel naked. Plus it has all my gadgets in it, like thermacell and calls. I have a thick pad on the vest but for some reason I can't get it to stay underneath me when I'm hunting. I'm always mobile and have killed turkeys about every way you can. Some more thought needs to go into a good seat pad for a vest. They haven't gotten it right yet.
Eph 2:8-9
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I quit carrying the buttpad from my vest years ago. I just like sitting on the forest floor better....makes me feel more "grounded," I suppose, and it's one less bulky item to haul around. Of course, when nap time comes I sure miss having it along for a pillow. ;)
willie

Post by willie »

why were u bare butt? :cheers:
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I do wear a vest, but the first thing I do is remove the seat. Later in the season I find myself killing more kneeling or standing due to the vegetation. I also have a fold-up stool that I use sometimes...
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

After only killing maybe three turkeys in my life before this year while standing up, I killed two out of the four I killed this year that way. I get antsy when I'm sitting in a situation where the bird is not going to be visible until he is inside 30 yds. So easy for him to periscope over a little rise, then pull that head down and get away. I really kind of like standing beside a tree when a bird is hot and coming in fast. You can see them a bit further out and are less likely to be surprised. Now obviously, if I am cold calling, or have time to set up in a place where I can see a reasonable distance sitting down, I will do that.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I killed my 130th gobbler yesterday morning and every one of them I was on my butt backed up against a tree (or something). I have shot them sitting against a separator on a well location, an old riding mower in the edge of a grown up field, stumps, logs and bushes but I was on my butt on every one. I wear a vest with a fold down seat and use the seat about 50% of the time, if I am on much of a slope I don't use the seat because like somebody else said it is like sitting on a sled. I called a bird in for a fellow one morning and he just stood up and leaned against a tree, I was setting about 30 yards behind him and I kept telling myself "this is never gonna work" but the bird came within 25 yards of him and when he shot I seen the bird up end backwards and then flew off. I asked him what happened and he said he didn't know but after talking to him for a little bit I found out he body shot it and then he told me that was the third one that year he shot that got away, the one I watched him shoot was a very nice bird with a really heavy beard and I am sure it never survived. I had rode up on the ridge with him that morning and after witnessing what I did I told him I would just hunt my way back to the house which was about two miles.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

MMMMMM .. I'm more of a "gentleman hunter now" than when this post was started :shock: :lol:
Those were the days my friends :cheers: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I use my cushion from my vest. But I have sat on bare ground over the years. I also use a Gobbler Lounge. I sometimes hunt small farms. The chair works great for long hunts I. The same spot.
Mike
Yule

Post by Yule »

I stopped wearing a vest, last year. If I know that I am going to do a lot of walking, I carry one of the small foam pads. On the days that I hunt small properties and food plots, I carry a Primos " low" chair. It sure makes long sits more comfortable.
willie

Post by willie »

i just don't know why anyone would go bare butt like hawglips.i guess each his own.i don't feel bad now setting on a toilet when hunting (since i got old i learned DONT ignore stomach pains. :cheers:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

willie wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 7:20 pm i just don't know why anyone would go bare butt like hawglips.i guess each his own.i don't feel bad now setting on a toilet when hunting (since i got old i learned DONT ignore stomach pains. :cheers:
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

"Help I've fallen off the toilet and I can't get up."
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

This year I was wearing my best for 2 out of 3, but o my on my butt for one of them. First bird I was moving from one position to another when the bird flew to me. I had to crouch down quickly and shot him from the knee. Second was on my butt on vest seat as bird walked in easily from roost tree. Third I was set up behind a large rock because the grass I the area was so high that you couldn't sit against a tree and still see anything.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Return to “Hunt Strategies”