Gobbler calls

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Gobbler calls

Post by appalachianassassin »

quavers16 wrote:I really think that a gobbler call is useful towards 20 minutes before sunset to locate 1-3 gobblers for the next morning. I have never roosted a gobbler yet-- but the gobble shaker will give me his general area and that is all I need to know for the next mornings hunt.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... so you are telling me you've killed 100+ jakes and never roosted a bird. I don't know about you, guy.
El Sicario
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

appalachianassassin wrote:
quavers16 wrote:I really think that a gobbler call is useful towards 20 minutes before sunset to locate 1-3 gobblers for the next morning. I have never roosted a gobbler yet-- but the gobble shaker will give me his general area and that is all I need to know for the next mornings hunt.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... so you are telling me you've killed 100+ jakes and never roosted a bird. I don't know about you, guy.
I suppose the definition of roosting a bird is a question of semantics here. In an attempt to act as an interpreter, I think quaver is saying that he uses a gobbler shaker to get birds to gobble on the roost, but they are not close enough for him to say he "roosted" them. In other words, he could not tell exactly where they were roosted after hearing them. (just my interpretation)
Shooter wrote: If you've never roosted one before, how do you know it works??? :shock:
I've roosted more than I can remember, and I don't remember one bird answering a gobble in the eve.
Again,...a question of semantics, I think. As for gobblers responding to gobble imitators in the evening, from my experience, this is mainly a question of where you are hunting (and what subspecies). There are places they will readily respond in the evening,...and there are places where they never (or almost never) will. To me, it seems that Easterns, in general, are much less likely to gobble in the evening to any kind of locator than are the other subspecies. I have seen exceptions to that, though,...but not many.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I have used it effectively, like most of the guys. Where the Gobbler Call has been a bonus for me, in getting a few birds is as a locator call. One time hunting land in Nebraska, my son and myself hadn't heard a bird all morning, so before we left to a different area, I pulled out the Gobbler call, and was immediately answered by a Gobbler coming in behind us. That worked out well.
ImageImageImage
bowhunter2k9

Post by bowhunter2k9 »

-DIRTNAP- wrote:anyone try the haint...?
I love mine
Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter »

I have used the Knight and Hale - Hale Fire Gobbler call for a few years now and it has been very effective. I have brought several gobblers to the gun with it, especially in the fall.

I have tried the Haint but just couldn't get it to run like the Knight and Hale.
Harrington's Hunting & Outdoor Products LLC

Preserving Hunting Memories for a Lifetime

View my products at:
http://www.Etsy.com - HarringtonOutdoor's

http://www.Ebay.com - Gobblergetter

NWTF Member
NRA Member
willie

Post by willie »

I've used the gobbler shaker that sounds like a jake gobble.my best luck is when u have gobblers going to each other or when one hangs up.i learned this on 2 gobblers that hang around my house.iv been calling these birds up for 3 years now and my wife enjoys them and said they are her pets and DONT SHOOT THEM.i live in virginia.
willie

Post by willie »

in my area a lot of gobblers go to each other and once they do that to me i will only use my gobbler call next.i have good luck this way but not good luck if i hen talk first and he won't commit.
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

Ive roosted a ton of birds w gobble call, usually a box. works great
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Killed a bird last week that wouldn’t come off a ridge for 2 hours, gobbled at him and he died 10 minutes later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Bigspurs68 wrote:This spring was odd in our area and we did very very well but gobbler yelps and gobbling got many to commit.
Icedturkeys is correct in saying that many think jakes yelping are hens and I think many birds are killed by responding to jake yelps. Thing is, the people making those yelps think they are doing a fine hen yelp. Listening to callers that come to get calls from me makes me realize that a large number of people yelp with a slower cadence than most hens and want that throaty rasp of a jake.
What I'm trying to say is, guys are jake yelping at gobblers alot and don't know it.

X2!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

I have a "Haint" gobble call. Like the others it is a little challenging to master but sounds pretty good after you have drove all the family away while practicing. Like already said they will work at times especially when you think you want to just give up and go to the house.

God Bless, Louis
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

howl wrote: May 30th, 2016, 7:30 pm Here is a gobbler striker. The double pegs are used to gobble on a slate. The other end has a single peg tuned for fighting purrs.

The fella that made it sounded pretty good with it. I never have. I think it was Jim Young of wing bone reknown, but it was maybe twenty years ago, so...
I have a striker that looks just like the one in your pic. At best I can sound like jake. But that is just me. I have not called anything in of it. Most of the time I see where the birds are gonna be and go there. That is if I do not get them off the roost.

Wish I knew who made the the striker...
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I have used Jake yelping in the spring tim to bring in gobblers with good success.
Mike
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

I've gobbled on a tube call, by voice, and on a box call. If I use it it's either early season or later in the day. I will combine gobbler yelps with the gobble. I don't use it on morning hunts if I'm hunting Public Land...... Although I have used it to call my buddies out off the woods..... Works like a charm especially if you gobble from where their vehicle is parked.
holocene

Post by holocene »

I use them out here in the West. We get some pretty big flocks, especially in fall and early spring when toms are still bachelored up. Heck, in the valleys sometimes toms will run in bachelor groups most of the season. I gobble to roost birds and sometimes will use it alongside some light yelping and fly up cackles to soak an area for the next morning.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Realwarrior wrote: March 5th, 2020, 2:08 am I've gobbled on a tube call, by voice, and on a box call. If I use it it's either early season or later in the day. I will combine gobbler yelps with the gobble. I don't use it on morning hunts if I'm hunting Public Land...... Although I have used it to call my buddies out off the woods..... Works like a charm especially if you gobble from where their vehicle is parked.
I wish I could do that with my voice. I saw a video of a guy using a diaphragm call, and he made a pretty good gobble with it.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

For those looking to buy a K&H Hale fire gobble call here's one for sale at Ebay.
Cheap to at only $185
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175239829114
Those interested in buying a Haint gobbler call for the bargain price of $200-$215:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284754476589?e ... s&LH_BIN=1
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

I have two Haints, a wooden and a plastic, and a Hale Fire. I much prefer the Hale Fire. I use it mostly as a locator, but this year I plan to use it more when trying to bring in henned up toms. I’ve been reluctant to try it for that for fear of spooking birds, but after reading the posts here I think I’ll give it a go.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”