Serious Decoy Question?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Grizzly Johnson

Re: Serious Decoy Question?

Post by Grizzly Johnson »

Shooter wrote:OH GOD,... I had almost forgot about that morn, and you had to come along and bring that nightmare back up,..... Geeeeez!!
That big ole gobbler had a charmed life that day,...lol

I have to be honest, I haven't called one up that fast before....... he either loved what he heard or he was really desperate for some loving!!!!!!
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Grizzly Johnson wrote:
Shooter wrote:OH GOD,... I had almost forgot about that morn, and you had to come along and bring that nightmare back up,..... Geeeeez!!
That big ole gobbler had a charmed life that day,...lol

I have to be honest, I haven't called one up that fast before....... he either loved what he heard or he was really desperate for some loving!!!!!!
Yep, and I still can't believe I missed, too close for me. I'm used to shooting them way out yonder, or at least thats what i've been told,...lol.
I still laugh when I think of him running off, setting the leaves on fire behind him, making the roadrunner look slow,...lol
Grizzly Johnson

Post by Grizzly Johnson »

:D :toothy7:
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

I tryed using one once with the wife Sally & I.......after 10 minutes looking at it, I got up and pulled out from our set up and shoved it back into a mesh bag it originally came in. Personally I rather keep them guessing when the other bird is at. I dont have any issues for others to use one, if it works, by GOD use it.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
sugarray

Post by sugarray »

I'm not as quick as you guys but I have an interesting true story.

We were hunting SD 2 yrs ago and had roosted 4 gobblers. That night a blizzard hit with 4 new inches of snow. We set up the blind and had 5 jakes in our setup just after daylight. We had a jake mobile without a tail and 2 hens. A lone long beard came in and after circling the jake mobile he moved about 10 ft to the left and all the jakes circled him and he did his "spankin' it dance" and then started strutting. It lasted about 5 mins. The jakes were making a sound like fighting purrs. We left the camera at home due to all the other stuff and the snow. Would have been great to let everyone see it and get your opinion.

What ya think?
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Serious Decoy Question?

Post by drenalinld »

Ray,
I have seen gobblers both jakes and longbeards get excited and for lack of a better term "hunch off" in the grass or leaves. I have seen this in the presence of hens or gobblers only or even both. It is usually a subordinate tom but not always. Crazy testosterone.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

:cheers: Challenge and dispose of male first then focus on the ladies, also in a multiple gobbler scenario, never miss an opportunity to kick your buddy when he is down ie shot in the face. When I use dekes I have come to like the jake/hen set up for most situations. A full strutter will work( and when it does it can be awesome!), but I will usually only employ it in certain situations. Really like it in multiple gobbler scenarios as having a wingman or two sure helps bolster their confidence! Had 4 early one season fussing one pm, watched them go to roost and tucked in close the next am. Man what a hunt! Ol Full strutter got their attention and I closed the deal and was back home in time for coffee with my bride, lol.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Ridgeking

Post by Ridgeking »

Hognutz wrote: December 15th, 2011, 11:38 am
Gobbler wrote:A good Hunting blind is a real asset in the woods. :thumbup:
I usually have one in the pull cart along with decoys, chairs, cooler, toaster oven and the Honda generator. It will conceal your movement. Especially when you are making your lunch or reading your NWTF Magazine.

I also try to take my pop-up outhouse with me. You never know when nature is going to call. Plus you can shoot through the crescent of the moon on the door if they sneak up on you while you're reading your N''WTF'' mag.. :bootyshake:
:thumbup: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:

Return to “Hunt Strategies”