Youth hunt, Help me on how close I can get?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
toasty

Youth hunt, Help me on how close I can get?

Post by toasty »

Roosted a couple of toms last night. Taking my 14 year old daughter out day after tomorrow for the youth hunt and have a question about setup. They are roosting in the top of some huge spruce trees on the side hill and then fly down to a little meadow. Where they are roosted, they can see everything that goes on in the meadow and several hundred yards beyond. They are roosted about 100 yards from the meadow, but I don't see a way to get a decoy in the meadow without being seen by the birds. These are pressured birds and have been hunted hard for the past 2 weeks. It is tough to call these birds in, yelps send them running the other way, usually just give little clucks and purrs.

Do I:
1- Sneak a couple decoys out there 60 minutes before fly down because 100 yards is enough it won't spook them?
2- Just move in and set up about 100 yards away at the edge of the meadow and call and try to pull them in without decoys?
3- Set up in a spot away from the meadow and try to pull them to another place?
4- Wait until after they fly down and belly crawl a decoy out to the edge of a meadow?
dsunday

Re: Youth hunt, Help me on how close I can get?

Post by dsunday »

I would setup and call without decoys if you think you'll get busted
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Jstocks

Re: Youth hunt, Help me on how close I can get?

Post by Jstocks »

Go in to the meadow during the day and build a good natural blind on the edge, or put up a blind for you guys to sit in. I don't mean put in the middle, I mean on the hiding edge, 5 yards in from the edge. Clear out leaves or anything that makes noise. Sneak in before daylight. If you know the turkeys fly down there, why call? Sit tight, let em fly down. Soft call if you have to.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”