Standing Rock Indian reservation

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
midmslongbeard

Standing Rock Indian reservation

Post by midmslongbeard »

What's the turkey and prairie dog hunting like up there thinking bout getting a group together for a long week up there next spring?
jims

Re: Standing Rock Indian reservation

Post by jims »

I hunted the Standing Rock a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if I'll return. There were 2 to 4 guys hunting the same drainage I was hunting that had the few turkeys I saw where it was open to public. From everyone I spoke to turkey numbers were way down from previous years. It was also a pain in the rear trying to figure out where hunting is allowed on the res. I bought a $10 map which was nearly impossible to read because there were hardly any county roads written on it and the scale is so large. I also found out that it was impossible to research prior to the trip via google earth. A lot of the areas that I was going to hunt were closed to hunting when I got there since they had no hunting signs. Some of the Indian Res is super poor....and super spooky! I tried to get permission from a couple places and most places said they hardly had any turkeys. I felt very uncomfortable camping in the area. I was glad I had a shotgun with me!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”