Gobblers on the limb

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
cmbostc

Re: Gobblers on the limb

Post by cmbostc »

HunterGKS wrote: November 5th, 2017, 12:44 pm
guesswho wrote: November 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm If I fall hunted, which I don't. If I heard birds on the limb I'd probably make a bee line to them and try to bust them up. Not that it is the right thing to do, I'd just do it because of hear say. Then I'd try to call them back to another location. Keep in mind I'm fairly clueless in th Spring, and even more so in the fall.
As a general rule, we don't hit the woods until well after flydown time, 08:30 - 09:00. But, if they are still in the trees, busting them up & calling them back close to the roost site is the way to go.
Why don't you hit the woods until well after flydown time, 08:30 - 09:00?
Chris Brumfiel Turkey Calls
Gobble, Gobble... "BOOM"!

Check us out on Facebook at Chris Brumfiel, Turkey Calls and More or on our Facebook group page, Full Strut.

Our new website is chrisbrumfielturkeycallsandmor.godaddysites.com
willygee

Post by willygee »

New member so have to put in my 2cents.
Timing is everything and I will wait until 5 min before I think are going to fly down.
Two soft clucks and three soft tree yelps.
Cant ever win a game of euchre if you never call trump!

Willy
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

I like to call a bit on limb, get a hook in em so to speak, want them to hear me first, before other hens. Just dont over do it.Mike
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

20180305_103353.jpg
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Just learning how to post pics from my Smartphone. I like the above locator because no one else will have on. I got this train whistle from Tuscarora Game Calls. Good for a - Gobbler on The Limb.
Yule

Post by Yule »

I've started sleeping in till around 8. Get up and have a couple cups of coffee, with a goal of being in the woods around 9:30. Generally find a lonely bird around 10, shoot him around 11, and back to the cabin for lunch, by noon. Hunting birds on the roost has only produced a few birds, for me over the past 25 years. They are too DAm* smart. All I do is educate them on what not to do....
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I learned the call sounds from an old indian, he taught me the call sounds to make to the toms that are up in the roost tree. The sounds in turkey talk means, " I am here and want to have your children."
Toms cannot resist these sounds from a call made out of a calf buffalo's lower left front leg bone, oh and it has to be female buffalo calf that is exactly 34 days old. This is an "Old injun secret" so don't be spreading it around to anyone who lives in a state with the letter "N" in it.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Ok, I’ll weigh in. I have called to turkeys aggressively on the limb and I have been passive as well. Both have worked and both have failed. I tend to agree that too much can make him sit longer. I tend to wait now until it is light enough for him to fly down before I call but I don’t necessarily wait for him to fly down. Truthfully if he his around hens then you have two options: 1) call and hope he flys down first and checks you out ( if you are close enough) or 2) hope when they fly down they are headed your way ( or you are where they want to be). Truthfully, me being aggressive with the hens usually results in them going, “ I got him, you don’t; Bye Felicia...” as they feed, preen,strut , gobble and breed off into the sunrise... Gosh, it’s wunnerfull, ain’t it?!?
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Well, I call too much normally. I am trying to tone it down this season. I only made one set of calls Saturday and it still didn't work out!

I had a bird Saturday that flew in to my second set up of the morning which was at 9:00 AM after I had gone and eaten breakfast. That tom flew from his roost to a tree around 60 yards away and strutted and drummed on the limb for near 2 hours waiting on a hen to appear. I never called again after he flew in and had only called one series of soft clucks and yelps before he flew in. Around 11:15 he flew straight away from me into the swamp where the hens had been earlier in the morning.

I thought he was dead when I heard him fly down. I had got down on the Maxus and was waiting for him to land when he hit that blasted tree!
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

There is something you can say to any longbeard in a tree that will get him killed. The same is true for longbeards on the ground but when they are in the tree you have so much more time to weave a storyline and seduce the poor bastard. You can kill a ton not calling too them but you can kill more if use that time he’s sitting up a tree alone.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Grumpy wrote: March 6th, 2018, 5:32 pm I learned the call sounds from an old indian, he taught me the call sounds to make to the toms that are up in the roost tree. The sounds in turkey talk means, " I am here and want to have your children."
Toms cannot resist these sounds from a call made out of a calf buffalo's lower left front leg bone, oh and it has to be female buffalo calf that is exactly 34 days old. This is an "Old injun secret" so don't be spreading it around to anyone who lives in a state with the letter "N" in it.
Will that bone fit in a pocket to carry. 😜
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I’ve never seen a bird sit longer on a limb calling to him. I’ve done both. Call, don’t call. Can’t see a difference. If he wants to come to me he will if not he won’t. I’ve doneboth
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
MississippiLongbeard

Post by MississippiLongbeard »

dsunday wrote: May 11th, 2017, 8:04 pm Now, I know we can't predict how every Tom will act. However, how much do call to him at dawn when he starts gobbling off the roost? Sometimes I feel like I overdo it and spook him sounding unnatural, and other times I get one answer and shutup, then hens take him away. What's your roost calling plan?
If you feel like you’re calling too much, you probably are. The older I get the less I find myself calling with better results. It’s more about the right call at the right time.
You have to pay for every bird you kill and the coin you use to pay for them is time.

— Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “Hunt Strategies”