4 in a line!!

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
HennedUp

Re: 4 in a line!!

Post by HennedUp »

I know a group of six or eight guys that hunt together. They locate a bird, circle it, then they try to sneak in on it. They kill some birds, but It's not my idea of turkey hunting. With the exception of taking somebody new to the sport, turkey hunting to me, is a one on one deal.
Bob
Blackduck

Post by Blackduck »

I know a group that hunts 4 to 8. 6 is their "best" number, I think, maybe 5. Anyway, they are very effective the way they do it. I went once. Not my style. But they had a plan. Somebody would kill the bird.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

On some public land I hunt in Middle Ga I know a family that may hunt 5 with one caller ... They call it Crutchfield ing them . and they kill birds . Most ive ever hunyed is 4 but we were out west and more interested in one person killing as it was his attempt at his first slam ( successfully completed ) . Its definitely not a 1+1=2 situation it gets exponentially harder to hide that many people even in the thick wooded south . It really helps if everyone knows how to setup , if not its a REAL Goat roping !!
10th Legion legionare !
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I've hunted in groups of 3 a few times but, not more than that, and don't think I've ever heard of 4 before.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
Paulyoung

Post by Paulyoung »

Anything over 2 people is too many for me. Went with 3 a couple times, and as someone already said, it was a hiking group with shotguns. YMMV....-Paul
Tripplebeards

Post by Tripplebeards »

Yep, use to do it all the time. Last time out with a party of 4 was a good 15 years ago. My buddy who had the tag took his daughter. Myself and my other buddy were the callers. I can remember it like yesterday. We hunted the public forest in our area. None was ever in there spring turkey hunting for sone reason. Anyways, we walked as close as we could to the loud mouth gobbler and all sat. My buddy, the shooter, and his daughter sat. Myself and the the other caller sat a good 15 yards on each side of the shooter. Within 12 minutes the bird appeared and my buddy dropped it. It was his doughy era first time out. I think she was between 6 and 8 ant the time. Way before they changed the rules that kids under 12 could hunt with a gun so she was just a little camouflaged spectator.

I remember lining up in the wood line just off a cornfield about 25 years ago and I was the shooter. Same scenario but different dad and kid...their uncle owned the land and gave me permission and wanted to watch. I dropped the first bird that came close enough to the kid could see a bird harvested. I shot a Jake and the kid miss the shot. He was sprawled out on the ground fast asleep till I pulled the trigger. BOOM!

Otherwise we would have 4 jammed in a double bow blind many years.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Hunted with 4 one time. My wife and I on the field edge, brother and father in law behind us calling. 2 silent gobblers came in right between us, probably had 4 guns with 10 feet of em but no shot and they slipped into the brush 😡
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I did 4 one time, I guess you could count it as 3 because I did not even take a gun. We were trying to get a kid his first bird and it was a goat rope. I knew I was in trouble when They showed up to pick me up and I was the only one in full camo....
I did get a bird fired up and if I had been by myself could have killed it, but we came home empty handed. One and only time I ever want to hunt with a group that big.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

This year was the first year in probably 10 years that I had hunted alone a few times...it sucked. Most of the time it is me and one or two of my kids, but typically only 1 gun. Hunted out west with 3 guys/guns this year. We just figured it out, the first one with a shot takes it, but we had a whole week so we weren't too worried about not getting our chances. Full disclosure: on the trip out west, we called in a group of jakes on day 1. I was with a couple of younger guys (my son and his buddy) and they did not want to shoot a jake, so in the interest of dropping our gun count from 3 to 2, I popped one. I was happy, they were happy, it was all good.

The key to hunting with a "group" is having everyone on the same page. If you got one person with a big ego or is a real go-getter, then it can ruin the whole mood. There is a difference between a "hunter" and a "killer", I love to hunt with "hunters", I won't hunt with "killers".

Return to “Hunt Strategies”