New Hunter New Property

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
new2turkey

Re: New Hunter New Property

Post by new2turkey »

guesswho wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 4:40 pm You need to be on the other side of those tracks. :struttin: :D
That's the plan.....in 2 months....lol
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Have you got a boat? Borrow one? I have waded a river before but its no fun before daylight. Boat works much better.

God Bless, Louis
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

youngoutdoors wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 8:10 pm Have you got a boat? Borrow one? I have waded a river before but its no fun before daylight. Boat works much better.

God Bless, Louis
I thought about that. The "problem" is the river is about as wide as a boat is long. While it's maybe 3ft deep and no more than 15ft wide, it is moving pretty good in the spring. With waders and trekking poles, I think I can get across without too much trouble.
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

I've been collecting trail cam pics the last couple weeks and have lots of good turkey activity where the map is marked with red dots. Multiple hens, jakes, and toms.
I'm thinking of setting g up on the yellow dot - which is along a drainage with a fair amount of water now.
Anyone agree or disagree or have other ideas?
Season opens in 11 days.
20200404_123341.jpg
new2turkey

Re: New Hunter New Property - DONE

Post by new2turkey »

Took me six days but this old boy finally gave me the chance and I'm forever grateful for it!
Attachments
20200422_102104.jpg
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Congratulations!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

A big ATTA BOY :thumbup:

Yer' scoutin' paid you back well!!! :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
BobT

Post by BobT »

Congrats!
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Your work was rewarded! Great bitd
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Congrats, well deserved !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
RemingtonRules

Post by RemingtonRules »

new2turkey wrote: April 4th, 2020, 2:42 pm I've been collecting trail cam pics the last couple weeks and have lots of good turkey activity where the map is marked with red dots. Multiple hens, jakes, and toms.
I'm thinking of setting g up on the yellow dot - which is along a drainage with a fair amount of water now.
Season opens in 11 days.
20200404_123341.jpg
Looks like it worked out. In your map I am not sure why you would setup away from where you are seeing them. I would get within range of the corners and be mindful of being out of the sun as it rises in the am.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Congrats!
new2turkey

Post by new2turkey »

RemingtonRules wrote: April 25th, 2020, 9:42 am
new2turkey wrote: April 4th, 2020, 2:42 pm I've been collecting trail cam pics the last couple weeks and have lots of good turkey activity where the map is marked with red dots. Multiple hens, jakes, and toms.
Season opens in 11 days.
20200404_123341.jpg
Looks like it worked out. In your map I am not sure why you would setup away from where you are seeing them. I would get within range of the corners and be mindful of being out of the sun as it rises in the am.
Worked out great! Thanks!
Regarding the map, I wanted to be in a place I could see them fly down from either corner and then call them within range.
Well, it was cold and windy and I hunted the earliest dates possible, so that plan didn't work out so well.
I played chess for a few days, moving around that little field and some others on the property.
Really learned a lot about roosting birds.
As I say, I was finally blessed when I figured out where they were going to sleep that night and sat right in the path near evening.
Daniel0004

Post by Daniel0004 »

Ditch the tent and go find the birds. Be there before first light, listen, and move towards the gobbling. Then sit next to a tree and call a little. Good things may happen.
I promise you that you will learn much more about turkey hunting if you get out of that blind. You will enjoy it more too. https://besthuntneeds.com/
mike camper

Post by mike camper »

MKW wrote: September 29th, 2019, 8:59 am Ditch the tent and go find the birds. Be there before first light, listen, and move towards the gobbling. Then sit next to a tree and call a little. Good things may happen.
I promise you that you will learn much more about turkey hunting if you get out of that blind. You will enjoy it more too.
I'm new to hunting however,however I'm a regular camper my question is how to camouflage and do we nee to have camp stool as well ?
mike camper

Post by mike camper »

Folks can you tell me which place is better for hunting Columbia or Garfield in Washington DC?
mike camper

Post by mike camper »

MKW wrote: September 29th, 2019, 8:59 am Ditch the tent and go find the birds. Be there before first light, listen, and move towards the gobbling. Then sit next to a tree and call a little. Good things may happen.
I promise you that you will learn much more about turkey hunting if you get out of that blind. You will enjoy it more too.
mike camper

Post by mike camper »

mike camper wrote: August 7th, 2020, 1:18 pm
I'm new to hunting however,however I'm a regular camper my question is how to camouflage and do we nee to have camphave camp stool as well ?

Return to “Hunt Strategies”