Who were your mentors?

Turkey hunting tips and tricks that have worked and can help others.
BumbleFoot

Re: Who were your mentors?

Post by BumbleFoot » June 17th, 2018, 6:03 pm

D. Henry Shipes — Vernon, Florida...well, posthumously anyway. ;)

Get out of the way Ben Lee, Tom Kelley, Ray Eye, Cove... Ole Henry might be the deadliest turkey hunter you’ve never heard of. Natural voice caller at that.

Check out Netflix or YouTube’s archive of the movie “Vernon, Florida” (1981). Better yet, on YouTube, the video “Return to Vernon Florida. In the latter, he claims to have killed 47 turkeys in one year :roll:

Beware: if you’re passionate about turkey hunting—to the point of obsession—it’s not a flattering look.

Jamey

Post by Jamey » June 17th, 2018, 7:22 pm

My mentor for both turkey hunting and call making was Charles Hudson of Travelers Rest SC. I worked with him as his only employee in his backyard shop for about 2 years around 79-80 and listened to him call almost every day while we worked on import cars (mostly VW bugs). We discussed turkeys and turkey hunting a lot and he was happy to share his knowledge with me. We each killed several turkeys those years.
He was building calls then along with fixing cars and later turned entirely to call making in that shop.
He was the SC NWTF callmaker of the year at one point a few years later and when I decided to start turning trumpets, he answered questions and helped me get started by shortening the learning curve quite a bit. I am still trying to build calls that sound as good as the trumpets of his that I have and I use his to test mine against.
He passed away last October and I just found out from his wife that there was an article about him in the Sept-Oct 2017 issue of Turkey Country...he never got to see the article.
BTW, I would love a copy of that issue if anyone has one available and is willing to let it go. Can't seem to find a way to order that issue on the NWTF site or even read it online.
ImageImage

jryser

Post by jryser » June 17th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Lt. Arnold Noyd, WWII army veteran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Pine

Post by Big Pine » June 18th, 2018, 2:47 pm

My youngest son. I got a rather late start turkey hunting. I hunted everything else but not yet turkeys.I took the boys on a doe cull hunt.Lots of birds on the property and my youngest (mabee 11 or 12 at the time) was thrilled watching the turkeys.Couldnt care less about the deer.He kept laughing,watching them.Said the way they walked,bobbing their heads back and forth was funny.Couldnt get enough of them.I told him in the spring,we,d give it a go.Had a bit of a learning curve for a few years,we learned how to call and decoy together and finally started killing birds.In fact,his very first was a very aggressive 25 pounder! We both got the disease bad now. Nothing either of us would rather hunt more. Sometimes the kid teaches you!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”