Hung up birds

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
tailfeathers

Hung up birds

Post by tailfeathers »

Need some advice on how to fool ol'tom(s). Im in a new club this year and all the birds get with their hens fairly quickly. I'm having a problem getting those toms that don't hen up right away committing to come that last little bit. I can get in the roost area and normally can get within 80 to 50 yards and then loose the bird. For the past two days I actually watched the birds just loose interest and walk away through the thick brush. I've tried no calling, scratching the leaves, aggressive yelps, purrs....you name it. Its not just one bird either which makes me wonder what I am doing wrong or could do different. Thanks for any help.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hung up birds

Post by appalachianassassin »

if possible. set up so that you cant see the bird or him see you until he is in range. does no good to see him if you cant shoot him.
El Sicario
tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

yeah I usually don't see them until he walks away and crosses a road or a cut over.... They are usually in the brush/pines/hardwoods that I couldn't see past 30 yards or so and just wont come that last few yards. Trust me, if I see him in close he's dead.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Get proficient on a gobble call and you will kill some of those that wont come to a hen call.
tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

I'll have to give that a try. I didn't even think about the gobble call. :D
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I know a guy who has killed 3 this week using gobbler yelps.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Of course I know that every turkey situation can be different based on many things but here's a couple more things to try if they fit the bill.
Leave them before they leave you. If they start loosing interest, walk away calling aggressively then tone it down as you get away more. If they can't handle the rejection, they might crank up. If so, move back in on them and only cluck and purr to keep track of them.
IF there is another bird gobbling in the distance, only answer him. Don't call to the birds you are after. Jealousy works sometimes.
If all else fails and the birds are vocal, spend a morning or 2 just listening to them. Maybe they will tell you where to be the next morning.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

All good suggestions. I'll give them a try and see what happens in the morning.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

hawglips wrote:I know a guy who has killed 3 this week using gobbler yelps.
How does a gobbler yelp sound different? I heard a deeper raspier on the roost the other morning and it was real different from the other tree talk going on.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Hunted a similar place once. Had to kill the boss before they would loosen up and commit.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

pedro wrote:
How does a gobbler yelp sound different? I heard a deeper raspier on the roost the other morning and it was real different from the other tree talk going on.
You will know when you hear it. Nothing like a hen
bigdoc

Post by bigdoc »

I have killed gobblers like that by FIRING THEM UP, cuts,cuts yelps and then shut up. No matter what just sit it out. If he leaves try to circle and try him again. Good Luck
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

pedro wrote:
As a general statement, as far as trying to duplicate it is concerned, it's slower, lower pitch, two notes or so.

Here's a sound file that isn't real good....

http://wildturkeyzone.com/hunting/gobbl ... lp%202.wav
tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

Went after them again this morning. It was a much cooler morning and they didn't want to gobble to anything but the crows. I need more time in the mornings to work them before I go to work. I think I'll give them a break tomorrow and get after them all morning on Sat. Good luck to everyone.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

turkey_slayer wrote:
pedro wrote:
You will know when you hear it. Nothing like a hen
it kinda sounds like a hound dog off in the distance
El Sicario
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Have a buddy set up behind you and walk away from the gobbler cutting and yelping as they get farther away. Lots of times the gobbler will go where he just left from. It doesn't work every time, but has worked often enough for me that it is definitely worth trying. It worked for my best friend and one of his neighbors this morning.

Good luck.

Jim
maddog3355

Post by maddog3355 »

Leave your calls in your pocket and squirrel hunt them. If your in hilly terrain slip up on them while there on the roost and get uphill from the 100 yards or so and when he flies down he should be close to being in range. It's not a gentlemens hunt but sometimes you gota do what ya gota do!!!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Two words,...."visual aid" :D
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Here's how you call in a henned up, hung up bird.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl7dHTm2bCg
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

hawglips wrote:Here's how you call in a henned up, hung up bird.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl7dHTm2bCg
Nice video there. I usually go to clucks and purrs and light yelps like in the video.

"He flopped 50 yards".....that's reason to get banned on this TSS heavy forum. :lol:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

gophert wrote: "He flopped 50 yards".....that's reason to get banned on this TSS heavy forum. :lol:
No joke....
Curtis Loew

Post by Curtis Loew »

Any time a bird has to hunt you, you are better off...I don't like to hunt them, but them hunt me. I want him 40 yards or less when we meet.
IMO woodsman ship and set up kill more birds than calling.
A lot of times they are more at ease where they like to be, know where they like to be.....Not a ambush but a call him in hunt....And figure out in that place to make him hunt you....You will be giving him a ride home....JMO

I may be an odd ball here, I still just shoot.....3" 2 oz. of # 5 or 6 in a regular Remington turkey loads, but my choice and respect you for yours.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”