preserving turkey legs

General discussion on getting your trophy preserved & for Taxidermist to show their work
clucknpurr

preserving turkey legs

Post by clucknpurr »

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I was wondering what could be injected into turkey legs to preserve them. Thanks.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: preserving turkey legs

Post by redarrow »

Are you referring to the feet . I just cut them off at the knee/joint . You can treat any fleshy area with powered borax.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

BBQ brine and slow cook on broil,,,yummy
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Lovett always suggested injecting with formaldehyde.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
wptaxidermy

Post by wptaxidermy »

Get masters blend injection fluid and syringes from a taxidermy supply shop. Inject them and they'll last forever.
Dead End Game Calls Pro Staff
Whispering Pines Taxidermy and Turkey Decoys
tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

Master Blend or a mix of formaldehyde/glycerin inject either with a syringe until plump but not over plump. The formaldehyde/glycerin mix might need more than one "plumping" after a day or so, but that is the only preservative. Masters Blend is just a two part epoxy with no preservative in it, but is widely accepted by us taxidermists for "protecting" and pluming turkey feet.
SCPossum

Post by SCPossum »

Denatured alcohol? You can always start a fire with them if you get in a pinch. :D
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

redarrow wrote:Are you referring to the feet . I just cut them off at the knee/joint . You can treat any fleshy area with powered borax.
This ^^^^^ I have several I have made into a middle Finger Salute AKA Hat Hanger...Here's 1 that I attached to a Turtle Shell Years ago to serve as a Wing-Bone Call Holder...All I did was Position Foot the way I wanted it and made a funnel from Tape to hold mound of Borax on top and like I said...This 1 is years old!!!!
Attachments
170_2736.JPG
170_2736.JPG (56.6 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
clschake

Post by clschake »

Hi
I know it's an old post but... why not add to existing ...
I've also read on just freezing them in a freezer no bag... do they really need to be cut off the bird. Most of the videos I watched even left the drumstick on. Now everyone is posting they cut them off and remount?
I have a professional video on the way but wanted to get the bird fleshed while waiting for the rest of the information.
Also please suggest a list of supplies I'll need so I can insure I have all I need and will be ready to get to work on it.
body
10 & 12 gauge wire
head is getting freeze dried
borax
injection fluid and stop rot
anything else you can think of I may need?

suggest the chest insert with neck or just get the neck separate? (I forgot to measure the neck for the correct size foam...but was thinking I might get the chest with neck attached?

Return to “Taxidermy”