I hate sewing !!!

General discussion on getting your trophy preserved & for Taxidermist to show their work
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I hate sewing !!!

Post by timbrhuntr »

Since the handloading guys seem to running away with all the threads I thought I would get something going in the taxi section.

I finally got off my but and got my 2012 tom out of the freezer. I decided to see if I could full mount another tom.

Going for the strutter look.

I finished skinning and taking out the meat then washed it up.

Made a few mistakes while cleaning it up so out with needle and thread. Man I need to flesh better because I really hate sewing.

Once I get it sewed up I will dry it out a then start to mount it.

All washed up.

Out with the needle.

I hope the rest of the mounting goes better than the fleshing did.

:struttin:

:canada:
GobbleNut

Re: I hate sewing !!!

Post by GobbleNut »

Have you tried using superglue for those repairs, Tim? Works great and takes a tenth of the time of sewing.....
Jim
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Right now it looks like you went to the ICEDTURKES school of taxidermy.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
wptaxidermy

Post by wptaxidermy »

timbrhuntr - just a tip. No need to sew up ALL holes as long as you don't need to worry about caulk coming out of them. Gobblenut's advice is good as well - Superglue can fix a bunch of holes as well depending on size and where they're at.
Dead End Game Calls Pro Staff
Whispering Pines Taxidermy and Turkey Decoys
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote:Right now it looks like you went to the ICEDTURKES school of taxidermy.
:lol: I can only hope it turns out that good. ;)

Thanks for the other tips guys. I only did the big holes and I figured I should stay away from the crazy glue I usually just glue my fingers together.

I will keep posting as I get it done and you can beat me up on it.

I have the tail done, a head I got on ebay and the form just about preped.

TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

wptaxidermy wrote: Superglue can fix a bunch of holes as well depending on size and where they're at.
Good on hands also that has holes and cuts on them.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

What kind of form are you using? Are you using drumsticks? Is the head freezedried?

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

TRKYHTR wrote:What kind of form are you using? Are you using drumsticks? Is the head freezedried?

TRKYHTR
The form is a cally morris form with the drumsticks already on it. I bought it on ebay a while ago. The head is freeze dried.
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Bad boy bodys from Brett D rock and I sure think they look better when completed than Cally's forms.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
wptaxidermy

Post by wptaxidermy »

TS wrote:Bad boy bodys from Brett D rock and I sure think they look better when completed than Cally's forms.

Although I have seen some very nice mounts done with BBB's, and have read several good reports from guys who use them. I personally find them difficult to work with. Seems like 1/2 the people I talk to like them and 1/2 do not. I personally think the breasts are too big and also I do not like the necks. I'd rather use Cally's form or one of Harry Whiteheads and fill the breast area with caulk after I have the skin on it and everything else is taxied and in place -JMO. I'm sure if I spent some time working with someone who is familiar with BBB's and showed me their tricks I might think differently. I have also spoke with Brett several times and he's a great guy though. Same goes for Cally and Harry. All 3 have won numerous competitions with their turkeys so imo it's just a matter of perference on how you'd rather mount your bird. Also, just because you saw and liked a mount that one guy did doesn't mean that you couldn't achieve the same look with one of the other guys bodies.
Dead End Game Calls Pro Staff
Whispering Pines Taxidermy and Turkey Decoys
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Skin is all dried and coated on the inside with borax. Test fitted the form and now am wiring the wings. Hopefully have it on the form and somewhat groomed by tonight.

As far as forms go I got a couple badboys I am going to use next. I also like the seperate drumsticks. It was hard to get the right length for some reason with the morris form. I also like that you can get the neck insert you want rather than use 2 part foam as it is hard to get shipped here in Canada. I can't get the masters blend either so gotta make due with others that are in my opinion inferior.
Last edited by timbrhuntr on July 14th, 2012, 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Well got it on the form and sewn up. Did I mention I hate sewing. Glued the head in place and attached the tail. Now gotta shoot some caulking and set everything up to dry. Then once the caulk sets do some gooming. It was a little loose on the form but I guess thats better than too tight and having to cut down the form.

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Well got it pretty much put together. Just a little more grooming over the next few days. Then figure out what type of display setting for it.

:struttin:

:turkeywave:

tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

Staples work well also. Sometimes the glue wont hold during the drying process if you didn't clean the bird properly. Staples have their issues as well, but hold regardless of how well you clean.

Return to “Taxidermy”