hen mount for a decoy

General discussion on getting your trophy preserved & for Taxidermist to show their work
brushcreek

hen mount for a decoy

Post by brushcreek »

i shot a bearded hen this spring and am thinking about getting it mounted for a decoy. Anyone done this? is it worth the effort and expense? know any taxidermists that will do it?
hobbes

Re: hen mount for a decoy

Post by hobbes »

Hazel Creek out of MO used to sell them. They didnt put the same effort into them that goes into a mount used for display in someones home.

I think Joe Slaton uses one that he mounted.

I'm sure they work but i think there are better options now. Unless I was doing it myself, meaning little expense, some of the latest decoys typically look better, are easier to take care of, and will likely cost less.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I agree with hobbes, decoys are the way to go
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
brushcreek

Post by brushcreek »

thanks guys. i believe i will have some calls made out of the wing bones instead of going with a mounted decoy.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

brushcreek wrote:thanks guys. i believe i will have some calls made out of the wing bones instead of going with a mounted decoy.
You'll get a lot more out of the calls :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

I would say make the calls as well, but it would be cool to have your mounted decoy bring in that stud of a gobbler.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Many think that carrying a decoy in the woods is an unnecessary pia and we don't. After seeing a friend mess with a mounted hen as a decoy, carrying a foam or plastic decoy would be like a walk in the park compared to a hen mount.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I have 3 mounted hen decoys from hens I shot in the fall. They are just as easy to carry as any other full decoy! Only difference is that they look like crap if they get rained on and take a while to dry out ! The DSD decoys work just as well but don't lose their looks in the rain ! I'd get the wingbone calls done myself .

Return to “Taxidermy”